Bio-Load of an African Dwarf Frog - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-21-2014, 07:19 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
Bio-Load of an African Dwarf Frog

Hi everyone,

Doing a fishless cycle on my first planted tank, 10 gallon, to prepare it for some Dwarf African Frogs. Question is, what should I get the ammonia up to? 2 ppm or 4 ppm? How much bioload do these have?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-21-2014, 11:36 PM
Planted Tank Guru

I think they generally recommend raising the ammonia to around 3ppm.

If you get it cycled with that level, it should be enough to sustain a pretty densely stocked tank.

Last edited by lochaber; 02-21-2014 at 11:36 PM. Reason: typo...
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-21-2014, 11:42 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by lochaber View Post
I think they generally recommend raising the ammonia to around 3ppm.

If you get it cycled with that level, it should be enough to sustain a pretty densely stocked tank.
Thanks! I'm having trouble with that, I can only get the ammonia up to around 1 ppm. I only plan on having about 4 frogs in the tank. Could I just leave the tank for a week or two and let the bacteria build up?

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-24-2014, 09:05 PM
Planted Tank Guru

what are you using to add the ammonia?

It may take some messing around with a 5 gallon bucket and a test kit, but after a few trials/tests, you should get an idea of how the ammonia affects the water.

After that, it should be a fairly straightfoward calculation.

I haven't used the Ace hardware store brand, but I think from what I've heard, it's fairly concentrated.

I found some pretty weak no-name stuff at some random store, so for me, I use about 3mls for each ppm I want in my tank. (I forget the actual mls/gallon ratio I had, it's written down somewhere at home...)

So, if I wanted 3ppm, I'd add about 9 mls.

Last edited by lochaber; 02-25-2014 at 09:01 PM. Reason: math error : /
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-24-2014, 09:35 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)
For the ace hardware ammonia I used a 1:1 ratio, 1ml of ammonia = 1 ppm, so if you want 8ppm of ammonia in the tank, figure out where the current ammonia level is and add the correct ML from there.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-25-2014, 01:00 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I was using a brand sold at the dollar store. I was only able to get the levels up to 1 ppm, even after adding over 3 mls of ammonia. I've been testing each night, and my nitrites are up and my ammonia is going down. Good stuff.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-25-2014, 09:06 PM
Planted Tank Guru

I just noticed I completely made silly math error up above, in my tank, when I want to raise the ammonia by 3 ppm, I add ~9mls (original post had 3 mls for some reason... )

I'd suggest you start with a smaller volume of water for testing, like a 5 gallon bucket (or maybe even 1 gallon jug.

Try adding a couple mls, stir it up, let it sit a few minutes or so, and then do a test, if the test results are 1 ppm or less, try 3x or 10x the amount. This is just to get a rough idea of what size you might need. If the second dose puts the test readings off the chart, you know you need to test somewhere betwixt 1x and 10x to get a better idea.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-26-2014, 02:41 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by lochaber View Post
I just noticed I completely made silly math error up above, in my tank, when I want to raise the ammonia by 3 ppm, I add ~9mls (original post had 3 mls for some reason... )

I'd suggest you start with a smaller volume of water for testing, like a 5 gallon bucket (or maybe even 1 gallon jug.

Try adding a couple mls, stir it up, let it sit a few minutes or so, and then do a test, if the test results are 1 ppm or less, try 3x or 10x the amount. This is just to get a rough idea of what size you might need. If the second dose puts the test readings off the chart, you know you need to test somewhere betwixt 1x and 10x to get a better idea.

Thanks! I'm way past that though. I'm just waiting for nitrites to drop now.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode