New 75g setup. Is this safe? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-20-2014, 09:58 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
New 75g setup. Is this safe?

I am wondering if this stand setup is going to be safe. I'm using a new metal stand and under it 5/8th plywood. Under the plywood is one of those carpet things that hold them in place. I shimmed the bottom of the wood so that the tank is level.

Also after putting the 75 on the stand, I noticed that only the corners are sitting on the stand. There is a very small gap were I can see light through the length of the tank!! Is this normal? Does a 75g tank only need to be supported by the corners?!

Is this looking good?

Attachment 277578

Attachment 277586

What about this gap?

Attachment 277602

Last edited by Positron; 12-11-2014 at 05:29 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-20-2014, 11:12 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
The ends is all those type of stands are made to hold. The tank can take that and also that is why I don't trust some of those new stands which have an overhang with nothing under the edge of the tank. What the tank can't take is any twist of it.
What is funny is that Aqueon warranties their tanks for life IF you buy it with their stand also. And their stands are made of particle board !!!
Also I hope you don't have any young children as pushing on the end of that stand can colaps it for lack of diagonal bracing. As long as no one pushes on it they are fine.

The shortest distance between any two points is a straight line...in the opposite direction...
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-20-2014, 11:36 PM
Algae Grower

That is an actual tank stand right? The gap might go away once settled. The stand may conform to the tank but if it doesn't that may cause extra stress. Tanks rely on weight distribution and too much weight on one area can cause damage.
why the plywood? Is it to protect the floor?
The shims - the feet are L shaped so really a small 2inch square shim under feet will do. If u keep the shims as is make sure they are directly underneath the feet. I've used small square pieces of hardwood in various thickness for shims. Ie: a 2"◊2" @1/8 thick. And 1/4 thick. Etc etc.
Just remember - you're shimming 4 small feet, not a 4 foot board.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-21-2014, 12:01 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

The plywood is to protect the floor, yes.

I just got 1 inch lowes foam board insulation to put on top. It should help even things out.

EDIT: Even with the foam insulation the gap still remains.

Last edited by Positron; 02-21-2014 at 12:24 AM. Reason: update
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-21-2014, 12:46 AM
Algae Grower

As long as all four corners of the tank are touching the stand and the tank is level you are okay. See this post for pictures of tanks supported by just cinder blocks at the corners and this link for the actual engineering reason of why it is okay. Hope that's helpful.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-21-2014, 12:47 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)
All I ever really use are those stands. I've got one almost like yours but it's a double tank stand. Yours is not. The gap is fine. The plastic rim will conform to the stand. You went through a lot of trouble to level that stand though. On mine I just put washers right under the leg of the stand.I put the tank on it and put water right to the top of the bottom rim.
I've got 5 55 gallon stands. 1 75/90, 2 20/29, and a few 10 stands. Some doubles some singles. All leveled under the legs of the stands with metal washers. And all showed a gap empty. YMMV

Dilution is the solution for the pollution.
Quote me as saying I was misquoted.
Once you get rid of integrity the rest is a piece of cake.
Here's to our wives and sweethearts - may they never meet.
If you agreed with me we'd both be right.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-21-2014, 01:01 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Careful View Post
As long as all four corners of the tank are touching the stand and the tank is level you are okay. See this post for pictures of tanks supported by just cinder blocks at the corners and this link for the actual engineering reason of why it is okay. Hope that's helpful.
And on top of cynder blocks too which are notorious for breaking for no reason what-so-ever !!!

The shortest distance between any two points is a straight line...in the opposite direction...
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-21-2014, 01:56 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Careful View Post

Excellent topic there. I should have known better because I have a degree in physics. Statics was never my strong suit, though.

I've also read that tons of people have a bit of a gap with metal stands. This seems safe to me now. I'll fill up slowly and watch and listen.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-21-2014, 04:26 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Welp the tank is filled and still pretty much 98% level. All good so far. Hopefully good for years to come!

Theres nothing in it but water right now. I'm gonna let it sit for a few hours, clean it, drain it and continue the project next week when my girlfriend is not around
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-21-2014, 01:32 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
I have the same stand for my 75 gallon. When it was setup i actually had a piece of 3/4" plywood cut for the bottom shelf of this tank and had the 75, 3-10s and a big canister filter on it and never doubted it for a moment.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-21-2014, 04:11 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

I agree with the folks who are saying that the tank is supported in its 4 corners but it mus be level. The foam between the tank & stand is good as it will relieve any small contact stress points, but it is still the corners actually holding the tank up and not the cross bars.
You mat want to rethink the board underneath the stand. I can see you've got hardwood flooring and the risk is that it gets and stays wet. With the board there it won't dry properly. You would be better off with something small & rustproof protecting each leg.
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-21-2014, 08:24 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
The wait of the tank should correct any twist in the metal. I mean if there is a definite gap between the tank and frame and tank then I would be concerned. Also u have to factor in that the gram is made of angle iron and that when the wait of a filled tank is on top of that wood it's possible the metal will sink into the wood

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-21-2014, 09:36 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
Steve002 brings up a good point about the plywood keeping your floor wet. You're bound to have some spills during the life of your tank. You might think about smaller blocks at each leg that would allow the floor to dry. Seems like the board and carpet thing would tend to hold moisture and lead to mold or a warped floor.
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-21-2014, 10:18 PM

PTrader: (15/100%)
It may support the vertical weight of the tank, but I'd be worried if any horizontal disturbance were to happen.

post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-22-2014, 04:20 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by thelub View Post
It may support the vertical weight of the tank, but I'd be worried if any horizontal disturbance were to happen.
Lub, these stands have been around since the beginning of time. Maybe before. Even with some rust on them they are S T R O N G. They don't rack.

Dilution is the solution for the pollution.
Quote me as saying I was misquoted.
Once you get rid of integrity the rest is a piece of cake.
Here's to our wives and sweethearts - may they never meet.
If you agreed with me we'd both be right.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode