driftwood storage - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-20-2014, 09:43 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
driftwood storage

A friend was taking down one of his tanks and gave me a nice driftwood piece.(in his tank for years) My tank is not ready yet so it will have to sit for a bit. Is there any specific way to store since its already soaked? It does have some unattractive algae so it will also need to be cleaned up. I just wasnt sure if letting it dry would damage it.
thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-20-2014, 09:58 PM
I don't do this anymore

PTrader: (28/100%)
Letting it dry won't damage it, but it will become buoyant again and will need to be held down with weights for a while. I would suggest finding or buying a large plastic storage box or clean trash can, filling it with water, and letting it sit there until your tank is ready.

No matter how hard you try, you cannot escape this hobby. You have been warned.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-20-2014, 10:22 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
If it were long term, I'd just let it dry out and stick it wherever. Then, before you do your set up, take it out, shake out the spiders, and soak it for a few days or so before using it.

If it's relatively short term, I'd just keep soaking it. As to the algae, if it's small enough, you could boil the piece of wood, otherwise adding some bleach to one of the soaks should take care of the algae.

Even just keeping it out of light might work, and if you have snails in any of your tanks, maybe toss one or two in, they'll likely clean up the algae for you.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode