long time reefer, first planted, first post-quick question - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-20-2014, 02:31 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
long time reefer, first planted, first post-quick question

Just set up a 16 gallon planted nano. Aquaclear filter with Seachem Matrix. Small nano Koralia. About 30#'s of ecocomplete substrate. Marineland Aquatic Plant LED 1,740 lumens. I just planted the following:

Hygrophilia
Rotala Indica
Dwarf Baby Tears
Micro Sword
Ludwigia
Telenthara

Here's the question and I know it's repeatedly talked about so I apologize, but since I have a tendency to always want to do things right, I bought a CO2 system - the cheap Fluval mini pressurized. I know why it's cheap. First, the diffuser is god-awful ugly and huge. Second, it doesn't fill the chambers the way the directions state. I would like to return it. I bought Seachem flourish. With this plant list, will I be ok or do I really need some pressurized CO2 rather than the liquid form? Any help would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-20-2014, 02:46 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (49/100%)
You'll be fine with a low tech tank, so log as you keep your light low enough. Light drives the growth, and this the demands for ferts and co2 go up as you increase the light. That being said, if your looking for the quick lush growth that you may see in logs of this forum, you'll be min happier if you go with co2, though I'd suggest at least a paintball setup as the fluval cartridges can get expensive, and aren't the most efficient!
Matt

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

40B High Tech Tank - 10g Shrimp and Moss Tank
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-20-2014, 03:22 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmrmotorhead View Post
You'll be fine with a low tech tank, so log as you keep your light low enough. Light drives the growth, and this the demands for ferts and co2 go up as you increase the light. That being said, if your looking for the quick lush growth that you may see in logs of this forum, you'll be min happier if you go with co2, though I'd suggest at least a paintball setup as the fluval cartridges can get expensive, and aren't the most efficient!
Matt
Can you steer me in the direction of one of those paintball setups? Never paintballed...

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-20-2014, 04:04 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
Before you spend I'd do some reading on them(on here and AquariumForum.com) for
experienced users to tell you which kind last and is properly adjustable as I've heard that all are not. Since I see your set on them and have bought(perhaps before you knew) an extreemly high PAR light that requires it, the CO2 systems come in very
good or very bad set ups that are just something someone threw together to get in on the market. I don't use the CO2 so I can't direct you further on that one but if you want to by pass that expense then you would need to lower the light intensity which
can be done in at least four ways/w the same light. Here is what one of our more respected members said about the levels though there is no set in stone border to
separate the levels.
"I don't believe there is any consensus about the definition of low, medium and high light. But, here is my definiition, subject to, and almost certain to change:
Low light - 15-30 micromols of PAR - CO2 is not needed, but is helpful to the plants
Medium light - 35-50 micromols of PAR - CO2 may be needed to avoid too many nuisance algae problems
High light - more than 50 micromols of PAR - pressurized CO2 is essential to avoid major algae problems" {By Hoppy} And this is the thread which it came from:
https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=184368
You will not find your light on there as it is too new but I would think it is at least equal to the Finnex Ray II.
BTW: Did you get that one from the factory as I've heard that it's only available from there so far.

The shortest distance between any two points is a straight line...in the opposite direction...
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-20-2014, 05:20 PM Thread Starter

I got the light from Fosters and Smith. To be honest, I just like quality equipment and this seemed like the right choice rather than buy now upgrade later. I definitely don't want to continually battle algae though.
I have great experience with saltwater reefs and am more than willing to keep up with the maintenance (i.e. water changes) but if a lack of CO2 with this light will doom me to failure I would rather know now and return the light for something else. Or, know for sure what CO2 system would be adequate for this size and/or if flourish will suffice.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-20-2014, 05:57 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
Got you on that up grade later part. That statement of where the line is between the low/med/high and what goes/w it may be debatable but I have a dual bulb T5 fixture in a ten g tank which has 11+ inches between the light and sub and Excel is controling most of the algae. No doubt some who looked at it would say "you call that controled?"
but you should have seen it before the Excel. But FWIW I cultivate this look.
The PAR chart on that link I gave you says I have about 80 PAR but that too is controled by floating plants, one of those ways I mentioned to degrade the PAR.
Someone will jump in to co-sign or correct this but I think the Satalite plus has a dimmer on it so you control how much light the tank gets. I'm not in favor of either choice you may make on this as I would be in CO2 if I was able to afford it so you may want to stay/w that light. If you go to the gallery and look at pix of tanks which are wall to wall with plants, these tanks have high lights like you have and the CO2 is enough to keep out algae in them. Each tank/light combo is a learning experience for anyone, but easier for the experienced as they already know what steps to take to solve issues. You can suspend the light from the ceiling to cut the PAR and lower it as you get full plant growth in there for example. And shorter periods of light work also.
But Excel will not be enough if some adjustment on the light does not happen.
You are way over that line.
I wouldn't make any quick decisions till others have answered this thread as I'm not
too experienced yet either, but have had my share of algae issues so I have some experience/w that part of this, just none/w LED lights. Just from reading about the issues others have/w them in here and how they correct those issues.

The shortest distance between any two points is a straight line...in the opposite direction...
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-20-2014, 06:10 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (12/100%)
Check this thread out.
https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=107312

Good Luck with everything! Post a journal and keep us in the loop on how it is going.

Eheim Pimp Club member #541
Nikon Pimp #087
JerSaint's 36 Gallon 1st Planted tank Journal
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

JerSaint's 20 Long Gallons of Shrimpy Fun

Profile Tank

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode