Driftwood has no tannins? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-20-2014, 04:51 AM Thread Starter
I don't do this anymore

PTrader: (28/100%)
Driftwood has no tannins?

I got a nice piece of manzanita a few days ago, and I've been soaking it for 3 days. I checked the water and saw that there was almost no discoloration.

Is it safe to put in the tank? Should I soak it for longer?

No matter how hard you try, you cannot escape this hobby. You have been warned.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-20-2014, 04:54 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
Try soak it in hot water not cold

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-20-2014, 04:56 AM Thread Starter
I don't do this anymore

It was soaking in hot water for about a day, I guess I could replace it, but it's gonna be hard. The piece is pretty long, I needed a bathtub to put the soaking container in.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-20-2014, 06:21 AM
jrh
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (14/100%)
If it is too big to boil, or boil part, then soak as much as you can in hot, but tannins aren't the end of the world. In some setups they're desirable. Otherwise purigen does a great job of clearing the water.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-20-2014, 08:14 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Also, Manzanita is a light wood with not quite as much tannin as some other popular choices.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|

---------------------------------

|
|
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-20-2014, 11:20 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
A product called purigen will remove tannins, will make your water crystal clear.... bonus is its a rechargeable product. So once it starts to slow down on removal, pull it out and recharge and put it back in

You can also run some charcoal/carbon if you have a small filter it would help clear the water.

Rev
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-20-2014, 01:42 PM Thread Starter
I don't do this anymore

Yeah I know I got a bottle of it somewhere and a bag... I'll take out the carbon in of of the filters and replace it with the purigen.

That sound ok?

- This post is the wisest thing you will ever read

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-20-2014, 04:50 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Step one is simply put that sucker in your tank. Give it some time in the tank to see if you even need the purigen.

Don't be afraid of the white fuzzies that will develop on the Manzanita, they're normal and will clear up on their own in a week, sometimes less...

|
|

---------------------------------

|
|
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-20-2014, 09:04 PM Thread Starter
I don't do this anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by kman View Post
Step one is simply put that sucker in your tank. Give it some time in the tank to see if you even need the purigen.

Don't be afraid of the white fuzzies that will develop on the Manzanita, they're normal and will clear up on their own in a week, sometimes less...
I was thinking of putting purigen in the filter anyway due to its intended inhabitants (RCS) so I think I will put it in anyway.

I shall not be concerned about the fungi!

Thanks!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode