30x15 footprint anyone? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-18-2014, 05:28 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
30x15 footprint anyone?

Hello, I'm looking at ordering a custom 30x15xXX" aquarium very soon and needed to make my mind up regarding the overall height. I'm considering 10", 12" and 15" heights, as I would prefer a shallow or "squared" tank end appearance. I feel that the ADA 60F appears to be larger than it really is due to it's shallow dimensions, and I was thinking I may like to reproduce that. As no off-the-shelf tanks are available like this, I am hoping someone here may have one like it.

Cheers, all image examples are much appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-18-2014, 03:12 PM
Planted Tank Guru

I would certainly go toward the taller end of your choices.
I have a 40 gallon breeder that is just about what you are thinking about. 36" x 16" x 16".

It is one of the easiest to 'scape.
The depth front to back allows much better layout of rocks and driftwood so the tank really has a 3-D effect. I have quite a few other tanks that are from 12" to 15" front to back, but taller. (many are 45 gallon, 4' long) They are harder to scape because they are not that 'square' sort of ratio. The hardscape elements need to be aligned parallel to the tank, and this sort of flattens the whole effect.

On the other hand, a real cube tank (all 3 dimensions the same or really close) offers some challenges, too. They can become really impressive layouts, but it takes skill to make them work.

A shallower (height) tank such as your lower options would limit a lot of plant choices, and the 'scape would either have to come out of the tank into the air or else end up looking long and low. Not quite the easiest thing to pull off. I have a 20 long, and it has that sort of problem. Too shallow to really look good. It makes a nice river tank, but that is about it. When I add hills they are so close to the surface it is hard to do anything with them.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-19-2014, 03:23 PM Thread Starter

Though I realize I'm reading and posting on The Planted Tank, I actually don't plan to do much by way of plants in the aquarium. As the tank will be visible on 3 sides, and isn't a cube, I cannot imagine maintaining it densely planted with more than ground-coverage type plants. My current home is the smallest I've had, so it's very much limiting the size/shape options of aquariums. This size will just happen to perfectly fit in a window-like opening in a wall between the living room and bedroom. I plan to do a rock and wood hardscape with sparse plants, but am still very much striving for a Nature World Aquarium inspired appearance. I personally do not mind the hardscape breaking through the surface of the water, but I really believe it only "works" on shallow tanks (width>height) and not squared ones. Since the aquarium will be viewable from both the front and back, in both rooms, I feel like the 15" height is indeed probably the best option, and would also not require an especially tall stand. Here's an example:

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode