one or two filters? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-17-2014, 11:40 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
one or two filters?

New to this board and am very thankful for all the info I have gathered here thus far. Just recently got the urge to get back into the hobby and am now in the process of planning out a new 90 gallon dirted aquarium. I was initially planning on getting one fluval 406 for filtration. Now I am thinking it may be wise to get two separate smaller scale fluval filters instead. What do you guys use? Would a filter(s) meant for up to 90+ gallon tanks be too much anyways, for a planted tank? Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-20-2014, 12:28 AM
Algae Grower

Well, I can go ahead and tell you that there is no such thing as *too* much filtration.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-20-2014, 12:46 AM
Planted Tank Guru

One large filter or two mid sized filters will both work.
If you have 2, then you can alternate cleaning them. This way any disturbance of the nitrifying bacteria is not so much of a problem. This is lower priority in a planted tank, however, and is not enough reason for me to go with two filters.
Two filters implies two water flow patterns, each filter having an IN and an OUT. You will need to coordinate these so that they do not cancel each other out. One way I did this on a 5' long tank was to have the OUT to each filter pretty much in the back corners of the tank, and the IN from each filter about 1/3 and 2/3 of the way along the back. The filter tubing crossed behind the tank, so that filter A had the OUT at the north end and the IN on the southern 1/3 of the back wall. Filter B had the OUT at the south end and the IN on the northern 1/3 of the back wall. Both of the INlets aimed for the front wall of the tank.
I have done other 2-filter systems such as a sump and a canister or a sump and HOB.

Overall, though, I prefer one filter and a power head.
A planted tank really does not need that much filtration. Good water movement is important, and with driftwood, rocks and lots of plants there can be dead areas. So set up the filter where it seems to do best, then add a PH to correct dead spots.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-20-2014, 01:24 AM
OVT
Carpe Diem

PTrader: (144/100%)
All good points from Diana, even though I personally prefer double canisters, especially on the longer tanks. I like the idea of redundancy, in case one filter goes bad and I can hide inflow / outflow much better with plants then I can hide a power head, even if it's as slick as Koralia.

v3

Courtesy * Integrity * Perseverance * Indominable Spirit * and Self Control
Tenets of TKD
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-20-2014, 01:29 AM
Children Boogie

PTrader: (13/100%)
I have 2 canisters for my 75G. One smaller than the other.
Besides the benefit of extra filtration, I get good water movement around the tank. It's needed to move CO2 around the tank.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode