Will some driftwood never sink? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-17-2014, 04:27 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
Will some driftwood never sink?

I've been soaking these pieces for about 2 weeks now, and they are still pretty buoyant. They are all fairly small, nothing as thick as a forearm and only about a foot long.

I don't know what wood they are.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-17-2014, 05:05 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Boil the hell out of it.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-17-2014, 05:30 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (22/100%)
i've had some wood submerged in water for almost a year that never fully sank on its own.
i suggest getting some SS screws and slate.

Eheim Pimp Club #190

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-17-2014, 07:44 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
Boiling sometimes helps as does drilling holes in it with a tiny drill bit to help water get inside of the wood. If the holes are from a small enough drill bit, they look natural in the finished product.
When I "collect" driftwood, I check it for weight. The lighter it is the more likely it will give you a hard time getting it to sink. It also indicates it's not from a hardwood tree which will not last as long as it would if it were from a hardwood tree.

The shortest distance between any two points is a straight line...in the opposite direction...
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-17-2014, 11:09 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Some species just won't.

I can tell you that Cypress won't...ever.

I had cypress knees and roots in a tub in the garden for a year and it still bobbed like a cork. It was even weighted down under flat stones. SS screws and slate for this stuff in spring.

Two weeks is early. Try putting it in a tub weighted down in some manner to keep it submerged for a bit longer and change the water regularly. Then boil the heck out of it.
If it still doesn't sink, it's a species that just won't, so at the very least it will be clean and prepped for the tank, and it's just a matter of buying some slate and SS screws.

Angelo

"Why can't my wife see all of this stuff as an investment?"
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-17-2014, 02:12 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Two weeks is a very short time for nature. Most of us are ready too quick so we have to have other ways. I like rocks, some like slate. You can also drill as large holes as practical and fill them with inert gravel like small creek gravel or the stuff they sell in bags for tanks. Seal the hole with silicone. I test for the amount needed by putting the gravel in bags to lay on the wood until I find how much it will take to do the job.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-17-2014, 02:19 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
Don't know if there is any in your aria but for the sake of anyone who might try to use it Cypress has a trick to it. The "knees" are often hollow in places causing it to float like a cork but limbs can be sunk. The main trick though is to get a piece that is already sunken. I have had many like that in my tanks. But long as Cypress is being talked about I should also say that it does bring down the Ph of your water some.
Dry limbs usually take what seems like forever unless small in diameter.

The shortest distance between any two points is a straight line...in the opposite direction...
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-18-2014, 09:46 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
https://maps.google.com/maps?safe=off&q=spirit+lake&ie=UTF-8&ei=KDkDU-aUGc-EogSe44LQCw&ved=0CAcQ_AUoAQ

That's pretty much a lake full of ~30+ year old driftwood, most of which hasn't sunk...

Anyways, as long as it doesn't smell like resin (or pine, cedar, turpentine, etc.), it's probably going to be safe after a few soakings or so.

I'm a real big fan of bolting wood onto slate. Not just to keep it submerged, but also to keep it restricted to whatever position I find appealing.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-18-2014, 07:44 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

So I've been boiling it for 2 days, for as long as I'm at home, which has been pretty constant over the weekend. I took it out of the pot this morning and noticed some of the pieces are staying on the bottom!!! WOOT WOOT! The rest are still soaking.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode