Hitchhiker - Fish? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-16-2014, 03:44 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (7/100%)
Hitchhiker - Fish?

So I have had my son's 10G set up for a couple of months now. Went natural dirted, heavily planted, etc. As for livestock we have introduced thus far, we have only put in some cherry red shrimp and some snails. We've been taking it slow as I'm trying to show my son that patience is a virtue in this hobby (which I wish I would have known a long time ago). Anyhow, this evening as we are observing the tank I see something dart to the back of the tank. Definitely not a shrimp or snail! After not being able to see what it was we come back a few minutes later to see a tiny fish swimming around. He is shaped like a tetra with a horizontal black stripe, maybe a quarter of an inch long total (probably smaller). My son claims he saw a second one later on but I haven't been able to verify nor grab a picture. I was aware shrimp and other worms / parasites / etc. could hitchhike but wasn't aware of fish? Anyone experience this before?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-16-2014, 03:48 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
Where did you get the plants from? Could have been some fish eggs on the leaves. really cool. I've never had that happen

~Sam

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-16-2014, 03:55 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (14/100%)
try taking a video of it.
and no never had a fry, but very often snails lol

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-16-2014, 04:14 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)
sounds like possibly least killie
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-16-2014, 05:02 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (25/100%)
I had that happen to some plants I shipped in the past. Apparently my rainbowfish dropped eggs in my mat of riccia and a couple of the eggs made it from Charlotte to California in a flat rate box (maybe 4 days?).
Just make sure whatever fish it is that it doesn't have the taste for shrimp haha.
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-16-2014, 01:11 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I will definitely post a picture or video when I can spot the fish. I got the plants from aquariumplants.com this time. We are excited to see what this turns into...my son was really happy. Amazing what nature can do!
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-16-2014, 01:16 PM
Qwe
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kat12 View Post
sounds like possibly least killie
While possible, I'd imagine it would be more likely for an egg to hitchhike on a plant than a fry...
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-16-2014, 01:28 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Hmm how strange, look on the bright side you got a free fish!
Good luck...

FISHY
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-16-2014, 05:41 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)
I got 2 very small fry this way when i got ghost shrimp from the LFS a few weeks ago. Waiting for them to get a bit bigger to id. They are either guppies or mollies.

3 Gal Betta Tank | 10 Gal Shrimp/Fry Tank |
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-16-2014, 06:15 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)
EDIT: bad guess

Last edited by AnotherHobby; 02-16-2014 at 07:50 PM. Reason: bad guess
post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-16-2014, 07:44 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I was able to get a couple of quick pics of the mystery fish this morning. Took us an awfully long time to spot him! I couldn't get a great zoom so ID will probably be tough. I'll try and get a better close up later. Thanks for everyone's input!

post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-16-2014, 07:50 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)
I assume it's the little dude with the black stripe running down the side, right?

It's TINY! Do you have any micro food to feed it?

post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-16-2014, 07:58 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I read the ultimate fish hitchhiker story a while back... Someone bought an anemone for their saltwater tank (huge one, really expensive) and when they got it home they found a pair of platinum clownfish in it (which were a few hundred bucks each at the time, at least)... He took the clownfish back, but that's quite an expensive error.

Hitchhiker fish are cool, but sadly that's rare in FW. In saltwater there are all kinds of crazy hitchhikers.
post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-16-2014, 08:05 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
I had 20 ricefish "appear" in my tank once. They must have had eggs attached to some plants. It happens.
post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-16-2014, 08:07 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by spaeth05 View Post
I was able to get a couple of quick pics of the mystery fish this morning. Took us an awfully long time to spot him! I couldn't get a great zoom so ID will probably be tough. I'll try and get a better close up later. Thanks for everyone's input!

Wait a sec, I know those... I've seen them in my local fish store.

It's some kind of gourami IIRC. I think they stay really small like that. Maybe I'm mistaking about the size and maybe other fish look similar to that, but it's exactly resembling what I saw.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode