How deep should my substrate be? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-16-2014, 01:01 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
How deep should my substrate be?

Hi everyone,

Quick question; I'm beginning a 10 gallon freshwater planted tank, but I'm just wondering how deep my substrate should be. Is 3 to 3.5 inches too much? I don't want to have too little swimming room. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-16-2014, 01:06 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
Yeah that seems a little deep. Also depends what you're trying to grow. I'd shoot for somewhere between 1-2 inches for most plants. Heavy rooting plants will need some depth

~Sam

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-16-2014, 01:08 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Trigger View Post
Yeah that seems a little deep. Also depends what you're trying to grow. I'd shoot for somewhere between 1-2 inches for most plants. Heavy rooting plants will need some depth

I was thinking it was too deep, it certainly looks too deep. I'm probably just going to shoot for lower-light plants since this is my first tank.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	002.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	74.1 KB
ID:	275170  

Name:	005.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	77.8 KB
ID:	275178  

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-16-2014, 01:14 AM
Wannabe Guru

Yeah that's pretty deep lol. I'd take out at least an inch. And is that inert gravel? You're going to be pretty limited on the kinds of plants you will be able to grow in that. Could try dirt capped with that gravel

~Sam

post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-16-2014, 01:30 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Yeah that's pretty deep lol. I'd take out at least an inch. And is that inert gravel? You're going to be pretty limited on the kinds of plants you will be able to grow in that. Could try dirt capped with that gravel

It's gravel mixed with Flora-max. I'll take out an inch tomorrow and get it running at that time as well.
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-16-2014, 02:18 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

There we go, this feels better:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	011.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	86.9 KB
ID:	275250  

Name:	012.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	94.2 KB
ID:	275258  

post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-16-2014, 02:23 AM
Wannabe Guru

Yeah looks much better

~Sam

post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-16-2014, 02:25 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Yeah looks much better
Excellent. This is probably me just being paranoid, but I noticed that the black rim that goes around the top of the tank is somewhat loose. That wouldn't compromise the durability of the tank at all, would it?
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-16-2014, 02:35 AM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonsaiGuy View Post
Excellent. This is probably me just being paranoid, but I noticed that the black rim that goes around the top of the tank is somewhat loose. That wouldn't compromise the durability of the tank at all, would it?
On a tank that small I doubt it. A larger tank it could def be a concern. If you're really worried about it you could reinforce it with some silicone and let it dry for a day or two

~Sam

post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-16-2014, 02:40 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
On a tank that small I doubt it. A larger tank it could def be a concern. If you're really worried about it you could reinforce it with some silicone and let it dry for a day or two
Right right. I'd probably just get another since they're cheap and switch the substrate over if need be. I'm not the best with silicone and would probably end up screwing something else up
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-16-2014, 02:45 AM
Wannabe Guru

It's easy . Just get one of the tubes with the fine tip applicator. Just squirt it up in between the glass and the rim. Boom. Done.

~Sam

post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-16-2014, 03:19 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Well maybe loose isn't the best term. I can still pick the tank up by the black frame, so it's still attached, I've just noticed one side seems to bend a little more than the other. If that makes sense.
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-16-2014, 03:40 AM
Wannabe Guru

Yeah I wouldn't lose sleep over it lol

~Sam

post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-16-2014, 05:55 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
If it makes you feel better, a lot of people completely take the rim off of some of the smaller tanks like the 5.5 and 10 gallons, so I am sure you are fine. Supposedly the frame is mainly to make assemble of the tanks easier, the silicone is what actually holds the tank together.
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-16-2014, 06:34 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
I find two inches quite nice. It's keeps plants down in the substrate and it looks very full. I'd say like a little over an inch minimum in the front of the tank, otherwise it gets hard to plant.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode