Aquariums using Steel Shelving? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-15-2014, 08:55 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Aquariums using Steel Shelving?

Kind of curious here. I finally am realizing my dream of having a fish room.. which will be located in the basement of the house I recently purchased.

Right now I have a 40B, a 20G, and a 10G but I am looking to purchase a bigger tank soon, at least 75G.

Anyways I wanted to be able to have a way to place these tanks in my soon to be fish room and I saw at Menards they have a steel storage unit.

http://www.menards.com/main/shelving...30-c-13051.htm

It states each shelf can hold 2,000lbs. I think it would be fine to hold 40Bs or maybe even a 75G but I was wondering if anyone has ever used units like these?

2,000 lbs per shelf just seems like a lot and I would hate to have a disaster.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-15-2014, 10:13 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
At 77" long, my simplistic opinion is that they may very well hold 2,000 pounds. But I would bet they'll sag in the middle. I'd feel better about them at 3' long or shoring them up in the middle in some fashion. The wire-weave shelving should be covered with 1/2" plywood. It's pretty cool that they are 24" deep though. Most of the heavy-duty shelving units I've been seeing here are only 18" deep.

Angelo

"Why can't my wife see all of this stuff as an investment?"
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-15-2014, 11:37 PM

I don't know if the steel shelves will work or not. I'm building my fish room using 2x4 wood racks as used by Ted Judy http://tedsfishroom.com . I watched a lot of fish room YouTube videos, and I couldn't tell exactly what kind of steel shelf those that used them had. These wood racks are easy to build, if you have the tools.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-15-2014, 11:55 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Interesting. The more I read about using steel shelves the less inclined I am to use them. I would agree the 77" long would worry me, not much to keep it from bowing and that could lead to disaster.

I would use wood underneath the shelves either way. Perhaps I can go with a shelving unit that is not so long and that would work better.

I'd like to do wood just to be safe but I would have to wait until spring I guess.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-16-2014, 12:05 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
I'm in the noodling stage of replacing a rack in my fish room that's been re-purposed too many times over the years. If I can find one of the "heavy duty" units that are built with a 36 X 24 footprint, I will most likely go in that direction rather than wood, even though I can easily build one. The room is very small, cramped and difficult to work in. An "erector set" like these units, would be perfect if they are the right dimension for my needs.

Angelo

"Why can't my wife see all of this stuff as an investment?"

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode