Where to order Discus? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-15-2014, 07:17 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Where to order Discus?

I am setting up a 55 gallon tank and i eventually want to put some discus in there and where is a good place to order them online that in not more than $30 a fish the is 2'
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-15-2014, 07:22 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (25/100%)
There are a few people on aquabid that have had great reviews from the people over at simplydiscus. There is a guy here in Charlotte (Carolina Discus) that sells great quality fish, but they can get a little expensive depending on the strain.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-15-2014, 07:42 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

I think $30 is cheap for most discus, FYI.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-15-2014, 07:54 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (11/100%)
kenny and discus hans, you cant be cheap when it comes to discus plus u have to pay $90 for over night shipping anyways
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-15-2014, 08:39 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by JwDiedrich16 View Post
I am setting up a 55 gallon tank and i eventually want to put some discus in there and where is a good place to order them online that in not more than $30 a fish the is 2'
While any individual's financial resources have a great say in how much is spent on hobby fish, particularly for discus which are indeed expensive -- its false economy to try to save $ by buying very small discus, like 2" fish which are not yet even into the juvenile stage.

If you're a newcomer to discus, please appreciate that a 2"discus' immune system is hardly yet developed, and it's readily prone to early ill health issues, not to mention stunting, if not kept & raised under very stringent conditions, which include large daily water changes, multi daily feedings, and pristine water quality conditions.

I've known of dozens of people without lengthy discus experience buying say for example, a half dozen 2" fish @ $25. each ($150.), only to lose every one of them within a couple of months. Those same people soon come to realize that they could have bought say, 3 - 4" fish @ $50.each, ($same $150.), kept them alive with a little careful attention, and successfully grown them out to beautiful adult fish. I'm sure you 've gotten my point. Don't waste your money buying 'baby' discus, at least not until you gain a lot of experience keeping them.

Please forgive me for seeming to sermonize, but I've kept discus for many years, and have a pretty good idea of what it takes to successfully keep them.
Do yourself a huge favor, and only consider getting discus of near 4" to start with, to lessen the risks and optimize the maintenance of their health, well-being, and longevity.

May I respectfully suggest you have a read first, if you haven't already done so, of my 'Beginner's Guide to Getting Started with Discus', located here with the first & only Sticky in the "FISH" section - 3rd article.

Then when you've digested that, and you still want to go ahead with getting discus, then a quality source near you is Chicago Discus (Josie). She is a sponsor on simplydiscus.com and also has a website you can access.
She has an excellent reputation as a breeder & importer of quality fish & I recommend her. She airships for a reasonable price.
BTW, your 55 gal tank is large enough to keep 5 adult, or near adult fish, which is usually the minimum number of fish recommended, to avoid bullying/pecking order issues .
Discus are hardy fish, and easy to keep, if one follows a few common sense rules and guidelines.
Best of luck to you.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-15-2014, 08:41 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (34/95%)
55g is on the small side, if you are new to discus I would highly suggest reading up on them. They do good in groups a minimum of 5-6 the more the better but that is all I would suggest in a 55g. The water quality must be impecible and daily water changes if the tank is that small. As adult discus can be 8inc+ you need to make sure there is room for them. Also if your going planted the tank should be set up for a few months 6+ before it is stable enough for Discus. Most suggest going Barebottom for Juveniles because the water quality from the amount of food they need.

If you get them don't skimp or you will regret the quality that you get. Order from Discus Hans or Simply Discus as he is the best and will give you the best fish for your money. He is right about shipping no matter what you will have to pay. Best to find a local store that orders from him and combine thier order with yours. My place all gets together and orders, if the store is good they won't charge you for doing this and will just have you chip in on shipping. Good luck discus are my passion and I love them!!!
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-15-2014, 08:46 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (7/100%)
Check out gwynnbrook farm (discushatchery(dot)com) I drove up a few years ago and they had some great fish and I've had a friend who ordered and had a good experience.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode