24g Aquapod planted tank project - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-02-2007, 08:55 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (6/100%)
24g Aquapod planted tank project

Well I have never had a planted tank so I thought why not try it out! I am using a 24g Aquapod because I think they make great all in one show type tanks. The aquapod has the stock lighting which are two 32 watt Sunpaq bulbs, one dual 6,700 and 10,000 daylight and one 420nm and 460nm dual actinic. It also has two blue led's which are on at night. I upgraded the pump and am just using the sponge filter in the back with some ceramic bio-rings from another tank to help seed the filter. I took out the single stock fan and replaced it with a quieter more efficient model and also added a second of the same model into the hood as well. There is no heater, the pump and lights heat the tank. There is about 40 pounds of Eco-Complete substrate, making it at least 3-4" deep. I have two pieces of driftwood and a rock along with some plants I picked up today to start my cycle. I also have 6 of the gold mountain minnows as well. I found that the plants I really got excited about are not available locally. I wanted to try planting dwarf hairgrass along the right hand side of the rock all the way to the right front of the aquarium. I was also looking for some Riccia to tie down on the small driftwood. Please feel free to critique, it's the only way we learn! My goal is to have about 20 of the gold mountain minnows total along with some shrimp or other bottom dwellers, not sure on that right now. Heres a pic of the tank:

-Dan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-02-2007, 10:30 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
The hardscape looks good, but the plants in the back are not aquatic. Maybe get something like crypt spiralis or vals to replace them. Perhaps a few more rocks in the tank to tie the scape together.

Until you get more plants you should get some Hornwort in the tank to keep algae from taking over.

I have a 14 gallon biocube which is similar to the aquapod and I love it.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-02-2007, 11:27 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (36/100%)
Send a message via AIM to JenThePlantGeek
Hey - welcome to planted tank! Glad to see you made it over here!

Yeah, unfortunately that tall grass in the back is Acorus sp. which isn't aquatic, but get a nice pot and some potting soil and it'll make a great houseplant. Isn't it evil of the LFSs to do those things? The one on the left looks like it may be an Anubias? Are the leaves arrow-head shapped or round, it's hard to tell.

LOVE YOUR FISH! My favorites!!! You won't need a heater for those guys, they don't mind the water being cooler.

You mentioned that the plants you like aren't available locally - well... I don't have dwarf hairgrass or riccia anymore... but I'm sure you can find them on the Swap and Shop section of this forum. Post a "wanted to buy" add. I highly recommend it, most of the time you get twice the quality and quantity at half the price. If you're coming to the December 6th CCAC meeting I can bring you some weeds to pack in there - not hairgrass, but I have Helanthium bolivianum (being sold in the club as pygmy chain sword) and Sagittaria subulata, lots of moss, Brazillian pennywort, and a whole bunch of various floaters. I could probably dig up some java fern or crypts if you're interested too.

Pack it as full of plants as you can to start off with, that will save you headache and heartache in the future. More plants tends to mean less algae, as long as everything else stays in check.

Some claim that the actinic bulbs do nothing for plants and can even contribute to algae growth. See if it works for you, but if you have troubles you may want to only burn the 6700/10000K bulb, or go ahead and replace the actinic.

Good luck! You're off to a great start!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- VP & Horticulture Awards Program Chair
I <3 Eheim #195
Everyone seems normal... until you get to know them.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-02-2007, 11:32 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (6/100%)
Thanks for all the info. Yeah the plant on the left was sold as an Anubias Hastifolia, and once again thanks to the LFS for a quality sale of an aquatic plant that really isn't! Frustrating to say the least but I will post what I'm looking for and go from there. Thanks again.
Dan
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-02-2007, 11:58 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Send a message via Yahoo to ikuzo
i think all of your plants are not truly aquatic. what kind of fish are those?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-03-2007, 12:01 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (36/100%)
Send a message via AIM to JenThePlantGeek
ikuzo - they are the albino form of Tanichthys albonubes.

- VP & Horticulture Awards Program Chair
I <3 Eheim #195
Everyone seems normal... until you get to know them.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode