Question about CO2 source - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-02-2007, 06:44 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (17/95%)
Question about CO2 source

Since i don't like the inconsistent of a DIY CO2, and the price of a presurized of CO2.

What do you guy think about the effectiveness of a excel bottle or a CO2 tablet that bubble out in water ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-02-2007, 07:19 PM

PTrader: (16/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by stagius View Post
Since i don't like the inconsistent of a DIY CO2, and the price of a presurized of CO2.

What do you guy think about the effectiveness of a excel bottle or a CO2 tablet that bubble out in water ?
Go low tech!!

tc
Mark
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-02-2007, 07:26 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (5/100%)
I've never used Excel, but I know many people have used it effectively.

I skimmed your other thread as well. I know that a lot of people have set up nice low tech plants, and they are great if you don't have a lot of time to devote. High tech tanks are great, and what I have, though it consumes a lot of time and has it's challenges to making it look good. I've been doing it for maybe 2 years and I'm just to the point that I think it looks "ok"...

I was going to suggest that you decide which way to go. If you decide to do high tech, do it all the way, and get presserized CO2, dry ferts, and higher lighting. If low tech, enjoy the tank how it is without CO2 (except maybe Excel, though I have no experience) or any dosing. And lastly, load it up with plants!

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-02-2007, 08:10 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (164/100%)
I suppose it would depend on the size of the tank. If you're doing a smaller tank, I would see no problem with just Excel. A larger tank will need large quantities of Excel, which is extremely expensive so, if you're not willing to mess with DIY, you should probably go pressurized.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-03-2007, 03:16 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

my tank is 29G. Light is around 2wpg.

in a low tech tank, should i add up lots of plant or stay minimum ? more plant, more CO2 consumption though.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-03-2007, 03:28 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)
Actually, pressurized will end up costing less than DIY if you have the tank long enough (I did a spreadsheet before I bought a regulator ). So, if you are committed to the hobby and believe you will have your tank for several years, pressurized might be a good way to go. Excel works very well for some tanks, depends on your plants. Some plants will melt if you dose Excel. You should decide what plants and how much lighting you want before deciding this. As for CO2 tabs, I'm pretty sure those aren't a good idea. They contain quite a bit of sodium, I believe.

Eheim Pimp #254, Eheim Wolverine #1

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Work in progress
10 Gallon Shrimp Tank
10 Gallon Planted QT
20 Gallon Shrimp Tank (Work in progress)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-03-2007, 04:50 AM
Children Boogie

PTrader: (13/100%)
my low-tech tank with 2wpg & sun light

It's stuffed with plants.

edit: more info I guess..
topsoil substrate
excel & GH booster once a month. No extra ferts.
Water change about once a month.

bacteria->CO2 & dissolve organic carbon will help feed the plants.

post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-03-2007, 04:58 AM

PTrader: (16/100%)
Quote:
my tank is 29G. Light is around 2wpg.

in a low tech tank, should i add up lots of plant or stay minimum ? more plant, more CO2 consumption though.
Its a balance of fish an plants...It also depends on what you have for plants and fish. A low tech tank has slow growing plants ie...swords, anubias etc...2 wpg would be minimized to maybe 6 hours a day with alot of fish feeding to alot of fish to fert alot of slow growing plants.

If you have 2 wpg over the tank with alot of stem plants then you might want to condider C02.

Bottom line is....What do you want your tank to look like, an how much time do you wanna spend on it...If you have alot of time for the tank then go with C02. If yer time is limited than go low tech. Let the fish an food do the ferts for ya...

tc
Mark
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-03-2007, 02:32 PM

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
According to Tom Barr, even in a low tech, you still want to pack your tank with plants. The plants actually adjust their metabolism to deal with the tiny amount of C available.

I just bought a 4L jug of Excel from BigAl's for $37, on my 33g (and your tank), it should last a good long time.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-03-2007, 03:01 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
I rescaped my non Co2 55 gallon with swords, hygros, and HM. The plants are growing faster than I expected.

I can actually notice the daily growth of the sword leaves which I didn't expect. I am glad I am not using Excel, I would have attributed the growth to its use if I was dosing it.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-03-2007, 04:50 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

ok, got the idea that more fish means more fert for plant
i will stock more goldfish then,
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-03-2007, 05:07 PM
Banned

PTrader: (9/91%)
Probably shouldn't have more than 3 in that tank. If thats all thats in there, in that case, just 1 maybe. And they will also eat just about every plant you put in there. And the assertion that fish = fert is not totally correct, you're not gonna get all the fertilization you need just from them. Last time i checked goldfish dont crap out micros :P. I think if you like the hobby, a pressurized system is probably the best investment you can make.

I <3 Mods
I <3 YAA
I <3 _______
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-03-2007, 05:17 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

currently, i only have one 1 goldfish 3in, and a weather loach. It is actually a cold water, thus the temp is kept at 75F.

I dose flourite from seachem 1 a week after water change.

In a planted tank, is it recommend to do the water change with the gravel vacumn frequently because my GF produce lot of waste
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-03-2007, 05:42 PM
Children Boogie

PTrader: (13/100%)
Um... I'd say no to the goldfish...well, depending on how big your tank is... And GF tends to eat and uproot plants (stem plants)

A planted goldfish tank is doable... Just give the fish space and choose the right plants.. You can go without heating the tank..

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode