Excel=snail control? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-14-2014, 12:42 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Excel=snail control?

I am not sure if this is just a coincidence but I had an outbreak of Blackbeard algae and snails at the same time. After research I found that tripling the recommended dose of excel could kill off bb algae. I tried this and it worked perfectly. Interestingly at the same time al the snails in my tank started dying. Now algae is gone and I do not see anymore snails. Is this coincidental? Has anyone else experienced this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-14-2014, 02:02 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
Excel will kill any creatures if you overdoes. Even just using it as recommended sometimes kills some of my shrimp.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-14-2014, 02:35 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (37/100%)
I have pond snails in my 10 gallon, I think my dwarf gourami eats them when they get big enough since I only ever see the real itty-bitty ones, but I dose excel daily (1 ml for 10 gallons) and its not hindered nor helped the snail population. I have not tried going over the recommended dose since I do not want to kill my old fella (gourami).

If you want to get rid of snails tear down the tank and bleach clean were appropriate (drain it, wash the gravel (used aged water if you want to save the small BB colony that grows in it), clean filter (defiantly used aged water for this), and do a bleach dip (look up ratio) for all plants and decor then thoroughly rinse before putting tank back together). You can also used peroxide as an alternative to bleach (again look up ratio). If the tank is cycled and no other fauna (except snails) is in there you cn also get dwarf/pea puffers as they can and will eat any type of snail (they are not a community friendly fish usually.. most peck and chase other species). You can also try 1 assassin snail for slowly eating down the snail population. Neither species mentioned will help with the algae though.

Due to photobuckets new bs cost for use of images on forums I have deleted all photobucket accounts. I apologize if you enjoyed or found my photos helpful.
Starting to update these threads

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~
~
~

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode