RO Water from the grocery store? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-01-2007, 02:15 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)
RO Water from the grocery store?

Has anyone seen these things before, these water stations you might find at your grocery store? You can go there and get 1, 3, or 5 gallon jugs filled for pretty cheap. It is advertised as RO filtered water. Does anyone have any experience with this? Is it really RO? I'd imagine they probably don't replace the filter very often. Does anyone with a TDS meter want to go and try it?

I'm thinking about using a bit in a tank. Obviously, I'm not going to go and lug 100 gallons of water around, but maybe just a little.

Eheim Pimp #254, Eheim Wolverine #1

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Work in progress
10 Gallon Shrimp Tank
10 Gallon Planted QT
20 Gallon Shrimp Tank (Work in progress)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-01-2007, 02:20 AM
Children Boogie

PTrader: (13/100%)
bring your GH test kit with you and test the water.

post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-01-2007, 02:30 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

I want to make a video of this. Someone find me a lab coat.

Work in progress
10 Gallon Shrimp Tank
10 Gallon Planted QT

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-01-2007, 07:04 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (16/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishscale View Post
Has anyone seen these things before, these water stations you might find at your grocery store? You can go there and get 1, 3, or 5 gallon jugs filled for pretty cheap. It is advertised as RO filtered water. Does anyone have any experience with this? Is it really RO? I'd imagine they probably don't replace the filter very often. Does anyone with a TDS meter want to go and try it?

I'm thinking about using a bit in a tank. Obviously, I'm not going to go and lug 100 gallons of water around, but maybe just a little.
I use it for my CRS tank. I have to refill tomorrow anyways so if I get a chance, I'll test again. If I remember correctly, the TDS was very low, in the single digits. The TDS in my tank is around 150-170 using Aquasoil. The vending machines around here are Glacier and they replace/clean the filter every 10 days to 2 weeks and the led display will actually show the last date the machine was serviced.

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-01-2007, 03:19 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
Send a message via AIM to RoseHawke Send a message via MSN to RoseHawke
What Halibass said. I've used it to top off tanks with no problems that I could see, but I didn't actually test the water. We refer to that as "cat water" as that's what I use in the cat's water fountain. And they do fairly frequent maintenance on the machine from what I can tell.

Sláinte!
Cindy

-
— 2wpg CF lighting; pressurized CO2; 18 watt Turbo-twist UVS; Eheim Pro II 2028; eco-complete; 2 Pearl Gouramis; 7 Harlequin Rasboras; 3 Otocinclus catfish

— lo-tech; 1.8 wpg DIY CF light; no CO2; Aquaclear mini; Schultz substrate; java fern; java moss; 7 Neon Tetras; 1 flame dwarf gourami
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-01-2007, 04:33 PM
Planted Member

I tested the water today, TDS is 7.

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-01-2007, 04:34 PM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoseHawke View Post
What Halibass said. I've used it to top off tanks with no problems that I could see, but I didn't actually test the water. We refer to that as "cat water" as that's what I use in the cat's water fountain. And they do fairly frequent maintenance on the machine from what I can tell.
Lucky cat, gets better water than me!

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-01-2007, 06:04 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (69/100%)
I used the grocery store RO water for a long while before I got my own unit. The one I went to had a sticker with the last service date on it, it was never more than about ten days old and the water was always very pure.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-01-2007, 06:46 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
When my only tank was a 29 gallon tank, I used to use 50-50 grocery store RO water and tap water... tap water 'round here is liquid rock and very alkaline. Never had a problem with it. Started getting lazy after a year or so, and slowly phased it out, and now just use tapwater in my tanks. I do know other people who have at one point done it as well.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-01-2007, 10:19 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

I plan on getting an RO unit eventually, just trying to work on a college budget and I also have moving in mind.

Work in progress
10 Gallon Shrimp Tank
10 Gallon Planted QT

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode