First Planted Tank - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-30-2007, 01:07 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
First Planted Tank

Hello everyone. I have been reading the PT forums for a couple weeks and cannot get enough. I have experience with aquariums but not planted tanks and I am just about ready to get started. This is my plan.

10 gallon aquarium
incandescent hood with 2 x 13 watt spiral cfls
aquaclear 20 HOB filter
100w visitherm stealth heater
eco-complete substrate
DIY CO2 with glass diffuser

Next step is to figure out what plants can thrive in about 2.5 wpg and what fish I want.

Any comments on my setup? I have more questions regarding the operation but I will save them for another thread.

Thanks,

Stuart
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-30-2007, 02:13 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (164/100%)
You should easily be able to grow most plants at 2.5 watts...there are a few exceptions of course but, you have a wide range of choices for that lighting.

Also, I'm pretty sure the incandescent lighting will not be useful for your planted tank and I'd look into getting a fluorescent, there are so many people on here that know a ton about lighting so, I will defer to them for more detailed information.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-30-2007, 02:21 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Digsy:

Thanks for the reply. I am planning on putting (2) 15 watt 6700k compact flourescent spiral bulbs into a hood made for incandescents. I am going to use mylar as a reflector or maybe just paint the underside of the hood white.

Stuart

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-30-2007, 05:10 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (21/100%)
The 10 gallon is shallower than most tanks so with two 13w you should be at moderate light levels. You should be able to grow a variety of things in those conditions.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-30-2007, 05:11 AM
Planted Member

Also, the 15w spirals might be a tight fit. I have a 10w and a 13w in an incandescent hood and the 13w is pushing it size-wise. Make sure to buy the "compact" variety.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-30-2007, 04:11 PM

My 2 15w bulbs fit fine, especially if you plan to remove the cheap metal reflectors for more room.

With 2 15w bulbs my ludwigia(sp?) repens is mostly green, except for the new leaves...which are pink. My red temple is mostly red...except for the very old leaves...which are green. So use that as an indicator of how much light that is. You'll probably get better results if you paint or use mylar...im using the cheap metal reflectors and nothing else.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-30-2007, 04:19 PM
Are these real?

PTrader: (195/100%)
Stuart, your plan sounds pretty good, I have a very similar setup and it works well.

I still have this hood for sale if anyone is interested.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-30-2007, 04:29 PM

I should mention that if you want your stem plants to grow straight using the 2 15w bulbs, you have to plant them directly under the bulbs...otherwise they lean towards the light and it looks funny.

Wasserpest, nice use of a kit in an existing hood. And your overkill DIY CO2 is also nice.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-30-2007, 04:53 PM
Are these real?

PTrader: (195/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sectoid command View Post
Wasserpest, nice use of a kit in an existing hood. And your overkill DIY CO2 is also nice.
Haha, you got that wrong. That tank is actually on pressurized CO2. The two bottles you see there are (were) fertilizer autodosing bottles, via airpump.

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-30-2007, 04:54 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (36/100%)
Send a message via AIM to JenThePlantGeek
Keep your water levels topped off so the aquaclear doesn't splash and I'd say you're setup sounds pretty good!

- VP & Horticulture Awards Program Chair
I <3 Eheim #195
Everyone seems normal... until you get to know them.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-30-2007, 05:42 PM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JenThePlantGeek View Post
Keep your water levels topped off so the aquaclear doesn't splash and I'd say you're setup sounds pretty good!
+1 for keeping it topped off.
I have the same 10 gal/Aquaclear 20 setup and I've tried lowering the water level for surface agitation, but I found you get the most circulation when The tank is topped off as high as you can get it.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode