Has anyone successfully removed all snail from there tank? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-30-2007, 12:55 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (9/100%)
Has anyone successfully removed all snail from there tank?

Hi there i was just wondering has anyone removed all the snails from there tank? And not come back. I have been picking out snails for about three weeks now and i have noticed lesser and lesser everyday. reply back with details thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-30-2007, 01:39 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)
Not personally, but yes, there are several people who have been able to. Do a search for "clown loach."
post #3 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-30-2007, 01:52 AM

PTrader: (2/100%)
snails

I have removed snails by the score when I put a fork with a piece of squash or cucumber on it. It is best to soften it first by boiling for a short time or microwaving...... leave it in there overnight, and in the morning, voila ! you have a slug of snails on your fork! I shake them off into my cichlid tank, and put the fork with the 'bait' back in the tank. They will gather again, making your life easy ! It would take forever to pick them out !

good luck !

Sheryl

post #4 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-30-2007, 02:06 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (164/100%)
I unintentionally killed all of my snails and still haven't figured out why. There's a possiblility that when I dropped my PH from just over 7 down to 6.0 with CO2 that zapped them but, instead of having snails, I now have tons and tons of shells littering the substrate.

I've been told that cutting back on how much you feed will eliminate their food supply and kill them so, that's a good option.
post #5 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-30-2007, 02:13 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/100%)
I have successfully removed all snails from aquariums using botia loaches. (yoyo and others)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-30-2007, 02:25 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (25/100%)
puffers do a great job!!
post #7 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-30-2007, 02:26 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
I've done it with biocontrol too. Yoyo loaches in one case and goldfish in several others. Goldfish don't leave shells, at least not in recognizable form. But they do need to be decent sized fish and are entirely unsuitable to most tanks.

I guess the spouse didn't know how good the little carp are--was alarmed to see me moving snails from my snaily tank to the snail-free one.
post #8 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-30-2007, 02:27 AM

PTrader: (8/100%)
Having owned clown loaches for over 10 years, I know that there is no way they can remove all the snails. Loaches can help control the snail population, but not totally eliminate them.

Without having to totally tear down my tanks, I always see snails, even where the clown loaches reside. My other tanks, I constantly remove snails, at times, over 20 snails per day.

I would have to safely assume, for every snail you see, there are at least 2 elsewhere.

I'm not sure what the hatching lifetime of snail eggs, but I would have to think that to totally eliminate snails, run tank with all equipment, decor, rocks, etc with the tank full of water. So full that the water almost overflows from the tank then add allot of bleach. Run it for about a day or 2, drain the water, rinse everything, then will with water again to the top. Wait about a week or so, then add bleach again. This should eliminate any snails that hatch from eggs.
post #9 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-30-2007, 02:52 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)
i haven't tried to remove all the snails from my 55, but i've tried adding them. they just seem to die like right away or something though. I have pool filter sand on the bottom, i don't know if that's it or not. But I have no snails in my 55, even after adding them.
post #10 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-30-2007, 03:01 AM
Banned

PTrader: (24/100%)
If you dont have any scaleless fish or inverts simply treat with a copper based snail control liquid. You will kill them all

Ehfipimp #273 ( Eheim Classic: 2260, 2217, Eheim Ecco: 2236, 2232 ) Fluval FX5

post #11 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-30-2007, 04:03 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)
Will potassium permanganate kill snails?

Eheim Pimp #254, Eheim Wolverine #1

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Work in progress
10 Gallon Shrimp Tank
10 Gallon Planted QT
20 Gallon Shrimp Tank (Work in progress)

post #12 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-30-2007, 05:39 AM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by fshfanatic View Post
If you dont have any scaleless fish or inverts simply treat with a copper based snail control liquid. You will kill them all
I've WAY overdose Had-A-Snail in my 6 gallon tank and weeks later STILL see a couple MTS. The population used to be in the hundreds though, so I think the ones I'm still seeing are the hardiest of the bunch.

I've read in other sources that once you do a copper treatment, it's nearly impossible for your tank to be hospitable to invertebrates again.
post #13 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-30-2007, 06:06 AM

I have one yo-yo loach in a 33gal, I had a huge bunch of snails and over the course of about 6 months, I have yet to see another snail.
I even tried to add mts with no luck.
they are very good eaters
post #14 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-30-2007, 07:01 AM

PTrader: (8/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishscale View Post
Will potassium permanganate kill snails?
Yes, PP will kill snails. I have read that it will also kill snail eggs, but I haven't seen any documented fact on it. I do know that it stains, so if you soak your plants in a strong PP solution for about 20 minutes, it will stain the snail eggs, which makes it easy to see. Then you can either remove the eggs or the leaves they are attached to.
post #15 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-30-2007, 09:44 AM

PTrader: (1/100%)
I have not "tried" to remove my snails, but I will say that Skunk Botias will. But they can be vary aggressive.

Another option that I have not used, but am confident will work is; using some veggie wafers. About once a week I drop a couple of HBH Veggie Wafers in for my Ottos. In the morning each wafer is covered to the point you would think there was a snail orgy going on. I would think after 2 or 3 days I could have every snail out of my tank.

One thing to keep in mind if you have MTSes you may want to leave them be. As they do much more good than harm. They help keep the substrate aerated, they eat dead and decaying plant matter, they eat algae, and there nocturnal. Rams Horn snails do all that besides the aerating and there not nocturnal and the really don't reproduce like pond snails do.

As for pond snails, they pos no threat but they reproduce like rabbits. That is a problem.

So thats all I know about that. LOL Now you get to decide how to get rid of them. Naturally, chemically, or with trickery.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode