Flow preferences? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-28-2007, 09:33 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)
Flow preferences?

Here is my possible stock list (not all of them, just fish I am considering. Right now, I have only decided that I want to keep cardinals):

Cardinal Tetras
Diamond Tetras
Rummynose Tetras
Apistogramma Cacatuoides
Blue Rams
Angelfish

Does anyone know if these fish prefer/dislike strong current? I am not sure if I should use a spraybar or just an outlet pipe. I have an Eheim ECCO 2236 on a 55g.

Eheim Pimp #254, Eheim Wolverine #1

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Work in progress
10 Gallon Shrimp Tank
10 Gallon Planted QT
20 Gallon Shrimp Tank (Work in progress)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-28-2007, 09:43 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (278/99%)
cardinal tetras are fom the same area as discus (why you see them in tanks together so often) so they would have the same water preferences as them.

warmer water, acidic, and as slight a current as possible.

post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-28-2007, 11:19 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

So to reduce current, should I use a spraybar?

Work in progress
10 Gallon Shrimp Tank
10 Gallon Planted QT

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-29-2007, 02:58 AM
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-29-2007, 04:37 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Send a message via Yahoo to ikuzo
i had lots of fish death because i chose the wrong fish in my tank with strong current, choose wisely. i have a thread about this and the conclusion is that most danios love current.

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-29-2007, 06:20 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Sorry, I'm really ignorant here, but how do you reduce current? Spraybar? I'm kind of new to canister filters. I have an Eheim ECCO 2236 that I am kind of regretting (bought it second hand on ebay) because of the various problems I am having. I believe I have some kind of defect on it because it is loud. It is not just air bubbles or incorrect priming, there seems to be something wrong with either the impeller or the shaft components. I will probably end up needing to order extra hoses/parts. Do you know how to hook up a canister filter to a CO2 reactor and an inline heater? When I ask this question, I mean do I need some kind of part between the tubing and the heater or reactor. Finally, I don't really have an outlet pipe. I have a U shaped piece of tubing at the end and a spraybar. I will try to get some pics up this weekend.

Work in progress
10 Gallon Shrimp Tank
10 Gallon Planted QT

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-29-2007, 10:29 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
A spray bar helps..its not so much reducing the current, its just dispersing it over a wider area which can be angled up or down depending on your needs. A valve can be installed inline on your output/spraybar to adjust the actual flow. (Renas come with these)

Most inline components should be able to be installed just by cutting your tubing at the location you want the item and simply hooking each cut end to your new inline item and adding some hose clamps. (Assuming your tubing and inline items nipples are of the appropriate size.)

When working with your tubing, alot of fittings and so on can be found in any plumbing section that will fit the bill. Just take a small piece of your tubing with you for trial fitting.

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-29-2007, 02:11 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Ah! HOSE CLAMPS. That's what those things are called *scratches head*

Work in progress
10 Gallon Shrimp Tank
10 Gallon Planted QT

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode