CO2 tank off gassed in car - The Planted Tank Forum
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-12-2014, 01:13 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed
 
Yankee's Avatar
 
PTrader: (4/100%)
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Oregon
Posts: 324
CO2 tank off gassed in car

Funny story. Got my tank filled today and took it home in the car - while driving home the thing off gased due to the increase in temp (translates to pressure) and fills the entire cabin of the car in a traffic jam with my fiancÚ in the car. Pretty sure she's pissed and everyone around us in the traffic jam thought my car was going to explode. Anyone else ever have this happen? Seems like people forgetting to leave a little room in the tank for fluctuations would be a common occurrence. Gotta lay down and rest now from breathing that crap in.

~Kyle
Yankee is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-12-2014, 01:20 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
PTrader: (15/100%)
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: New York
Posts: 751
That's weird. Co2 is filled to 900 psi, tank can take 3k I believe. I had my 10lb filled and in the car in 100 degree temp for 6 hours with no issues what so ever.

NIKON pimp #017
Sump pimp #014
nvladik is offline  
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-12-2014, 01:28 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed
 
Yankee's Avatar
 
PTrader: (4/100%)
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Oregon
Posts: 324
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvladik View Post
That's weird. Co2 is filled to 900 psi, tank can take 3k I believe. I had my 10lb filled and in the car in 100 degree temp for 6 hours with no issues what so ever.
That's what I thought as well - so I was confused at first. I marched back in and they admitted that they're not used to filling 5 lb tanks and were using guesswork when it came to filling it.

~Kyle
Yankee is offline  
 
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-12-2014, 01:55 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
PTrader: (15/100%)
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: New York
Posts: 751
Lol. I bet they overfilled it and the valve gave in.

NIKON pimp #017
Sump pimp #014
nvladik is offline  
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-12-2014, 01:56 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
PTrader: (15/100%)
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: New York
Posts: 751
Guesswork filling a tank... Very nice. It's basically a grenade if the tank was to go.

NIKON pimp #017
Sump pimp #014
nvladik is offline  
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-12-2014, 01:57 AM
Banned
 
PTrader: (15/100%)
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 3,261
They didn't weigh the tank afterward? That's careless. You could've passed out, rear-ended another car, and killed them without being conscious of it. What're you going to tell the judge? The CO2 caused it? That's why you stick it in the trunk.
Solcielo lawrencia is offline  
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-12-2014, 01:58 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
jmrmotorhead's Avatar
 
PTrader: (49/100%)
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Colorado
Posts: 664
Did you explain to them that they were leaving you and your fiancÚ's health up to guesswork? I would have been livid! If they aren't comfortable with it, don't do it!! Crazy.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

40B High Tech Tank - 10g Shrimp and Moss Tank
jmrmotorhead is offline  
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-12-2014, 02:00 AM
Honeycomb Master
 
Centromochlus's Avatar
 
PTrader: (122/100%)
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Tucson, AZ
Posts: 6,769
Same exact thing happened to me about 4 years ago… my dad was driving and a recently-filled CO2 tank depressurized while we were on the freeway. I was holding the tank between my legs (terrible idea, i know), so when the tank depressurized the liquid CO2 hit my right leg. I ended up getting a severe second degree freeze burn that was about 3"x4". Great way to start my freshman year of high school… was on crutches for weeks. Took quite a while to heal, and I still have the scar today. Thankfully it's healed quite nicely, but since then i've always been extremely careful in regards to the way i handle and transport pressurized cylinders.

CO2 tanks are very safe as long as you know what you're doing, the people who fill it know what they're doing (which it sounds like the folks who you dealt with didn't), and you take the proper safety precautions. Accidents like mine can be avoided very easily… glad you, your fiancÚ, and the people around you weren't harmed.

Sorry to hear that this happened to you.

Last edited by Centromochlus; 02-12-2014 at 02:16 AM. Reason: Added text.
Centromochlus is offline  
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-12-2014, 04:05 AM
OVT
Carpe Diem
 
OVT's Avatar
 
PTrader: (144/100%)
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: NorCal
Posts: 7,470
Happened to me about a year ago when AirGas filled my 5# to 10# weight. The safety valve tripped several minutes after I put the tank in the garage. Thankfully, the tank ended up stuck in a 24-roll of toilet paper and not in any of our cars.

v3

Courtesy * Integrity * Perseverance * Indominable Spirit * and Self Control
Tenets of TKD
OVT is online now  
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-12-2014, 06:22 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed
 
Yankee's Avatar
 
PTrader: (4/100%)
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Oregon
Posts: 324
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solcielo lawrencia View Post
They didn't weigh the tank afterward? That's careless. You could've passed out, rear-ended another car, and killed them without being conscious of it. What're you going to tell the judge? The CO2 caused it? That's why you stick it in the trunk.
This is exactly why I went back into the store. They were pretty apologetic and scared to death when I walked back into the store with an empty (frozen) tank about 5 minutes after they filled it. I was going to put it in the trunk, however I didn't have anything to strap it down so I placed it between my back seat.


Quote:
Originally Posted by jmrmotorhead View Post
Did you explain to them that they were leaving you and your fiancÚ's health up to guesswork? I would have been livid! If they aren't comfortable with it, don't do it!! Crazy.
They got an earfull - and the hint that I won't be taking my business there after they told me they were guessing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centromochlus View Post
Same exact thing happened to me about 4 years ago… my dad was driving and a recently-filled CO2 tank depressurized while we were on the freeway. I was holding the tank between my legs (terrible idea, i know), so when the tank depressurized the liquid CO2 hit my right leg. I ended up getting a severe second degree freeze burn that was about 3"x4". Great way to start my freshman year of high school… was on crutches for weeks. Took quite a while to heal, and I still have the scar today. Thankfully it's healed quite nicely, but since then i've always been extremely careful in regards to the way i handle and transport pressurized cylinders.

CO2 tanks are very safe as long as you know what you're doing, the people who fill it know what they're doing (which it sounds like the folks who you dealt with didn't), and you take the proper safety precautions. Accidents like mine can be avoided very easily… glad you, your fiancÚ, and the people around you weren't harmed.

Sorry to hear that this happened to you.
Jeez! Sorry you got hurt - the initial sound it makes when it degasses is enough to scare someone and make them veer off the road. The gas filled the car pretty quick and made it impossible to see. Luckily we were able to pull over and place the hazard lights on. Glad you're okay now - definitely won't be placing the tank between my legs anytime soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OVT View Post
Happened to me about a year ago when AirGas filled my 5# to 10# weight. The safety valve tripped several minutes after I put the tank in the garage. Thankfully, the tank ended up stuck in a 24-roll of toilet paper and not in any of our cars.

v3
I'm taking my tanks from now on to AirGas as I heard they're more reliable than the fish store I usually take it to. Hopefully the one here doesn't have that problem. I'll let them know the story of what happened today and I'm sure they'll be cautious not to fill it too much. I didn't realize it but AirGas is literaly 200 yards from my apartment - it didn't show up on my google search when looking for a gas supplier.

~Kyle
Yankee is offline  
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-12-2014, 10:09 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
jmrmotorhead's Avatar
 
PTrader: (49/100%)
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Colorado
Posts: 664
Kyle- good! Also airgas by me just does a tank swap. Should be much better I'd think!
Matt


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

40B High Tech Tank - 10g Shrimp and Moss Tank
jmrmotorhead is offline  
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-12-2014, 12:46 PM
Wannabe Guru
 
ipkiss's Avatar
 
PTrader: (4/100%)
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: FL
Posts: 1,284
Wow, that's a new one to me. Thanks for sharing. And here I am always thinking .. oh, they overfilled. Free gas for me! Now I have to be a bit more careful and find a way to strap the thing in the trunk or something. Is it okay to lay it down during transport as long as I let it stand for a while before hooking the regulator back up to it?
ipkiss is offline  
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-12-2014, 12:55 PM
Algae Grower
 
PTrader: (3/100%)
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: VA, USA
Posts: 67
Happened to me 2 blocks from home.... but the valve opened... I know it sounds kind of funny.... it was not the seal.... maybe it is the way I put it on the back seat... .so we got out of the car... when I got close... and saw it.... I just close the valve.... and drive home.... I guess we lost 10% of the load.....
fraviz is offline  
Reply

Tags
None

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome