First planted aquarium - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-27-2007, 08:42 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (21/100%)
Thumbs up First planted aquarium

I thought I would share a picture of my first planted tank. I have since added plants to all my tanks with varying results. This one is doing wonderfully. It is almost a year old now and nicely established. I was able to take a half-decent photo, so I thought I'd share.

Flora:
aponogetons, ulvaceus grown from a bulb, one that I think is crispus
hygrophilia, I believe its giant hygro
crypts, Wendtii red and green
amazon swords
java fern on rock
java moss on floating driftwood
small piece of taiwan moss

Fauna:
2 small SAE
1 common pleco
1 african leaf fish

Specs:
10 gallon aquarium
Aquaclear 100 gph HOB
10w 6700k and 13w 6300k spiral CFs with potato chip bag mylar reflectors
gravel substrate with fertilizer tabs for root feeders
no ferts except fish poop
1.5 ml daily excel dose

There are actually two ulvaceus that sprouted from a pack of bulbs from wally world. One has stayed very low and small, while the other has grown very fast, flowers frequently, and now it has 4 or 5 leaves that have grown to the surface and are exposed to air. Also, the only plant that isn't doing well is the moss which has a nice crop of hair algae growing on it. So far, spraying the excel directly on it when I dose hasn't helped much because the moss is right in the outflow of the filter, nor has Algaefix.

Tell me what you think! I am open to comments and suggestions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-27-2007, 10:53 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
Nice growth, but I'll be danged if I can find the leaf fish...lol

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-27-2007, 04:01 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jinx© View Post
Nice growth, but I'll be danged if I can find the leaf fish...lol
Yeah, he only comes out sporadically. Usually in the morning and evening. In that picture he is in his favorite hiding place behind the rock in the middle.

Here is a picture I snapped of him pretending to be a leaf.

And him in all his glory, doing the vertical "I'm a leaf" swim.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-27-2007, 04:15 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (22/100%)

Goes to show you can get nice growth from lo-tech tanks. Some of you plants are going to outgrow the 10,thankfully with lower light it'll take a while.

Walter

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
or my
Proud former member of:

--May the floor under your tank always be dry, and your glass clear!!!
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-27-2007, 04:23 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

I'm hoping by the time they outgrow the tank I can set up a new (bigger) tank for them

hopefully one without ugly blue and white gravel
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-27-2007, 04:26 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (22/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by python View Post
I'm hoping by the time they outgrow the tank I can set up a new (bigger) tank for them
Ah-ha, It has begun!!! The upgrade already being planned!!!

Walter

and
or my
Proud former member of:

--May the floor under your tank always be dry, and your glass clear!!!
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-27-2007, 04:45 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Update: added some pics of the leaf fish above
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-27-2007, 06:32 PM

PTrader: (0/0%)
Positives

Great looking and very well developed plants. You're way ahead of the curve.
Unique and interesting fish selection. I haven't seen too many leaf fish, great choice.

Areas for improvement.

First fill the water all the way to the top it will look much better.
It looks like you have algea on the glass particularly the back. Use a paper towl or some type of clean scrubber to remove.

I'm not partial to colored gravel and I think it is taking away from the overall look of your tank. You should be able to get sand or natural colored gravel for a 10g tank relatively cheaply.

Also I think the addition of a rock, perhaps a nice round river rock (which you could find for free would be a nice addition. I would place it off center (length wise) and middle (width wise) and build the plants around it.

have fun with what ever you come up with
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-27-2007, 07:17 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Thanks for the input, jeremy!

I have had the water level lowered for a couple days for more surface agitation. I'm trying to get rid of a film but it doesn't seem to be working, so I will refill it all the way at the next water change.

I'm not very partial to this gravel, either... haha. It was in there when I started when this tank had a few cichlid fry in it and no plants. I feel like changing it now would be a big hassle and I don't want to shock the crypts. Trust me, I will be using a proper substrate in my next tank.

The rock thats in there is actually very pretty, but I admit it has gotten kind of hidden by the plants. I had a nice piece of driftwood in the before but decided it was too big, and taking up too much space where I could have more plants.

I think the background is going to be the next thing I change. I just have white paper there now, thinking of switching to black construction paper. I admit I have been ignoring the algae in the back. I think some more contrast would be nice.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-27-2007, 07:21 PM

PTrader: (0/0%)
The other thing I'd look into changing is your stocking. Did some research and those Common plecos can get up to a foot long and are messy, SAE get up to about 5 or 6 inches, and leaf fish can get to 6 inches as well I believe. That is way to much for a 10g tank. We all overstocked(I have 3 comet goldfish in which Im finding a new home) but its a simple change.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-27-2007, 07:29 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

I am aware that these guy will outgrow the tank. The SAE's will probably go back to the lfs when they get too big, to trade for some smaller ones or some otto's. The pleco will probably take a long time to outgrow the tank but he will get moved to a bigger tank or given away as well. I want to have upgraded to at least a 20g by the time the leaf fish outgrows this tank.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode