Anyone found a trick to keep there sponge filters from clogging up so fast? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-11-2014, 02:36 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Anyone found a trick to keep there sponge filters from clogging up so fast?

I have a sponge filter that fits over the down tube on my HOB. It tends to clog up pretty fast and slows done circulation in my tank. I'm thinking there is really nothing that can help with this problem, but I figured it wouldnt hurt to ask.
Thanks!

Betta sorority--25 Cube tank

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-11-2014, 02:38 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

We prime water in a 5 gallon bucket and rinse all the sponge pre filters every water change. It makes a big difference and helps clear up the tanks of mulm that can gradually accumulate and restrict the intake.

"In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king" Desiderius Erasmus
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-11-2014, 03:39 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (4/100%)
No trick at all.. for me..
Just clean it when needed ..

You can give the ss filter made by h4n a try.
It should work pretty well.

Last edited by Darkblade48; 02-11-2014 at 11:56 PM. Reason: Back to back posts

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-11-2014, 03:44 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Unfortunately, that's what they are designed to do. No real way to work around it. If you want to change it out a little faster, keep a spare.

Angelo

"Why can't my wife see all of this stuff as an investment?"
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-11-2014, 05:27 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Thanks everyone, that's what I do, I just clean it with every water change.
Someone had posted something about using pantyhose to prolong clogging, it's been a while back now since I read that post or thread...I wish I had paid attention to it, but it wasnt a concern at the time.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-11-2014, 05:46 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
The finer the mesh/pores of the prefilter, the better it filters, but the faster it clogs. Pantyhose clogs fast.

I have a bulk block of sponge which I cut prefilters from. It's small enough to keep livebearer fry out, but maybe not egglayer fry or baby shrimp. Does a good enough job and lasts about two months between cleanings. Was cheap and large, and I've made many various filters from it. If that sounds like something that could work for you, I can look up where I got it.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-11-2014, 05:58 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (10/92%)
I tried the panty hose the first go round and that didn't work for me AT ALL. Then I tried the fluval sponges you can buy in a box of 3 and cut them to fit my hob intake tube. One issue I had removing the sponges to rinse them was I would always find tiny shrimplets crawling around in the sponge. To limit me killing any babies I just invested in a few shrimp guards (H4N) and they never clog.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-11-2014, 06:33 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Thanks again for the replys, I guess I'll just have to stay diligent about cleaning it so it wont slow the flow in my tank.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmc_09 View Post
I tried the panty hose the first go round and that didn't work for me AT ALL. Then I tried the fluval sponges you can buy in a box of 3 and cut them to fit my hob intake tube. One issue I had removing the sponges to rinse them was I would always find tiny shrimplets crawling around in the sponge. To limit me killing any babies I just invested in a few shrimp guards (H4N) and they never clog.

Yours shrimp guard never clogs and the mesh wire is fine enough that shrimplets don't get sucked in?
I may need to go this route if that's the case.
Thanks for the reply.

Last edited by Darkblade48; 02-11-2014 at 11:56 PM. Reason: Back to back posts
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-11-2014, 06:45 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (10/92%)
Never had a clog issue and I've even spotted tiny pewees climbing around on it so no casualties either. It's definitely worth the cost. Plus H4N is really easy to deal with and doesn't mind answering questions

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-11-2014, 08:49 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmc_09 View Post
Never had a clog issue and I've even spotted tiny pewees climbing around on it so no casualties either. It's definitely worth the cost. Plus H4N is really easy to deal with and doesn't mind answering questions

Okay thanks!!

post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-11-2014, 08:54 PM
Oxl
Planted Member

If you use a large enough sponge it won't need cleaning at all and will serve as a mattenfilter.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-12-2014, 12:56 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
Not sure which sponge you might be using but maybe the sponge is not designed for the high flow of the filter. The ATI Pro reticulated type sponges are for higher flow situations than their regular sponges are. I was using an ATI Pre-Filter #3 (which has a Pro 2 sponge on it) on my canister filter. It clogged every couple days so I replaced it with an ATI Pro 3 sponge. Now I can make it a week maybe longer. I just clean it when I do my weekly water change. Yeah the sponge is HUGE but I'd rather put up with the huge sponge rather than having to clean my canister every two weeks. Otherwise I might as well go back to HOBs which are far easier to clean, IMHO.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-12-2014, 01:25 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

the trick is to overfilter, more/bigger physical filtration will naturally last longer under the same loads before clogging..

I would argue if your physical filtration clogs to the point it reduces flow more frequently than your doing a PWC then its woefully inadequate for your needs.. You should not need to clean your filters more frequently than your doing a PWC. Assuming your doing a PWC every week or two.

As for prefilters, its bad for your pump to be restricted on the intake, if you dont stay on top of keeping it clean it you may experience premature failure of your filters pump.

5 Gal Tropic Nano w/SunSun 603b,

Last edited by nayr; 02-12-2014 at 01:46 AM. Reason: prefilters warning

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode