Please comment on my setup - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-26-2007, 03:34 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (17/95%)
Please comment on my setup

HI

First off, i am not sure if this is the right place to open a thread.

Secondly, I am new to planted tank. Here some info about my setup

Tank size : 29 Gallons
Filter : 1 sponge filter 170gph, 1 canister xp2 (300GPH)
Fish : 1 ryukin GF, 1 bristlenose pleco, 1 weather loach.
Plant : 2 anarchis and 2 java fern
Light : DIY 40W , so I guess 1.37 gpw
substrate: just plain gravel . 1 driftwood
Fertilize : no

After 2 days of rooting, my plants seems not doing very well. i believe so although there is no significant sign of sickness.

I am not sure if I should keep up this setup or if there is anything i should be concerned. Please give me constructive comment.

Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-26-2007, 03:37 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Is it a good idea to have a strong current in the tank.

I pointed the 170GPH powerhead toward my 2 anarchis
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-26-2007, 03:48 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Send a message via Yahoo to ikuzo
that's a lot of current you have there. does your goldfish nibble the anacharis? i'm pretty sure it will eat it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-26-2007, 03:51 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

he started munching. But he seemed to not really interest in.

Just want to know if there is something wrong with my current setup.

If you know any plant that live well in that environment, please let me know.
My tank temp is 75F, ph is 7.8
if i were right, i should not put air bubbles in the tank during the day, right ?
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-26-2007, 04:47 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
it would help if you brought the temp up to around 78-79...ph is alittle high also...

G-mont all the way!

55 gal planted, 10 gallon electric yellow cichlid fry tank (gone), 18 gal electric yellow cichlid mouth brooder holding tank (gone), and soon to be a 55 gallon pimpin discus tank (workin on it)!

my journal link:

92% of teens have switched to rap music- if your part of the other 8%, add this to you're signature!
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-26-2007, 04:50 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (266/100%)
Forget adjusting the pH. It's fine.
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-26-2007, 05:14 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)
Uh, in your particular setup, I'm not sure if not running the airstone would be a good idea. Do you have a picture? I am not sure that the amount of plant mass you have would provide enough oxygen. Also, you are not running any kind of pressurized or even DIY CO2, so there would really be very little benefit in not running an air stone, since you don't have CO2 to outgas. I will let someone else answer that question though. Have you considered adding some more light? While both of those plants are pretty low light, I'm sure they would appreciate some more. Since you have anacharis, I would guess that this might just be a transition period. Anacharis is banned in many places because it is a noxious weed, and I hear it will grow in basically any conditions.

Eheim Pimp #254, Eheim Wolverine #1

Work in progress
10 Gallon Shrimp Tank
10 Gallon Planted QT
20 Gallon Shrimp Tank (Work in progress)

post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-26-2007, 05:29 AM

PTrader: (2/100%)
Goldfish will destroy most plants ime.
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-26-2007, 05:37 AM
Wannabe Guru

Your plants may just be acclimating to the change in water parameters from the store water to yours. Just wait a bit longer and see if there's new plant growth.

I think everything should be fine--most important thing is to just keep the water parameters stable at an appropriate level.

No experience with goldfish--some plants do ok with them. Will research for some plants for you.
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-26-2007, 06:11 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

@fishscale: you mentioned that anacharis is toxic, do you mean to the other plant or to the fish ? My GF started enjoying the anacharis.

Since I am not really into planted tank, the fact that i am a full time student. I was just trying to make my tank look more natural.

I end up putting light at 40W because i dont want to deal with CO2 injection. So I am looking for a low light planted tank.

I still have question about the subtrate. In a low light tank, is adding substrate important ? If so, i would add 15lbs of seachem flourite substrate. Also, with substrate, do i need to buy the root tab or any kind of nutrient bottle to feed my plant ?

Lastly, anyone knows any plant that fits with my situation, goldfish and low light.
post #11 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-26-2007, 06:26 AM
Children Boogie

PTrader: (13/100%)
anubias, java ferns

post #12 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-26-2007, 06:48 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

What do you guys think about adding subtrate like seachem flourite plant ?
People said it will cloud up the water.
post #13 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-26-2007, 06:48 AM

Rinse it, it WILL cloud the water. I would recommend it anyway.
post #14 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-26-2007, 09:09 AM
Planted Tank Guru

When we say noxious weed in this hobby, we don't mean it's toxic

Noxious weeds are invasive species that spread very fast, what I mean to say is that your anacharis is like an aquatic kudzu, a plague that spreads all over. You should have no problem getting it to grow. Just don't throw it out or flush it. Make sure you dispose of it properly.

Work in progress
10 Gallon Shrimp Tank
10 Gallon Planted QT

post #15 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-26-2007, 09:15 AM
Planted Tank Guru

At 1.3 WPG, you're no where near needing CO2. Many tanks have been done without CO2. I recommend a little more light, but it doesn't seem to be the cause of your problems. As for substrate other than gravel, it is not necessary, per se, but highly recommended. Substrates like Flourite will not contain macronutrients, so if your fish load is not high enough, you might need to add fertilizer. But, in your situation, I would doubt it. Light drives CO2 consumption, CO2 consumption drives NPK (macro) consumption and micro/trace element consumption. Since you have low light and no CO2 (and goldfish), you probably do not need to dose. Goldfish create a lot of waste, which contributes to your macronutrients.

I am guessing your plants are either acclimating to a new environment (in which case give it about 2 weeks), or your goldfish is eating them.

Work in progress
10 Gallon Shrimp Tank
10 Gallon Planted QT

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode