Industrial Storage Shelves, multiple small tanks? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-26-2007, 03:22 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (1/100%)
Industrial Storage Shelves, multiple small tanks?

Went to home depot today to pick up some lights for my 55gal I have been working on slowly and swung by the shelving section.

I found a couple different shelves I have been toying the idea of trying. One of them is a workforce heavy duty stand which can hold 7000lbs total, with four shelves. Metal frame, with metal shelves and a piece of wood board across the shelf. I have been using a simple wire heavy duty stand that I have put a couple of 10gals on and a 20long on, but I noticed it bowing the other day. Does anyone use something like these heavy duty shelves? Obviously instead of the crappy partical board I could use 5-6 2x4's cut short to help support the tank.

I noticed beside this shelf it mentioned garage storage and had abunch of compressors and crap loaded on it, so I figured a 20l which would be around 225lbs filled would be alright. With some reinforcing of 2x4s I think it would be a great stand to hold some tanks, Any input?

Looks like this : http://www.shelving-direct.com/asp/f...sp?codigo=316#
Although not as expensive
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-26-2007, 03:50 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Send a message via Yahoo to ikuzo
i've seen tanks in shops that has iron shelves and the tank are just hanging on the four side bottom glass edges. scary but it's proven to be safe for many years. yours will be fine IMO.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-26-2007, 04:18 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (18/100%)
I have one of the smaller ones, rated for 3000 lbs. and it holds a 29 gal. 3 ten gals and 2 5 gals. What I did instead of the wood that came with it. I bought some thicker wood and cut to size and replaced with that. Does a good job of holding them.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-26-2007, 04:52 AM Thread Starter

Good to know, I will pick one up tomorrow and modify the shelving, what type of wood did you use susankat? I was thinking some 2x4s cut width wise to help support instead of particle board. Similar to the steel shelfs in the link I listed in my first post.

Only thing I was concerned about was the width of the tanks wouldn't be on the metal edge, they would be on the wood. And I doubt the length of the tank would be touching the metal rim as well.. so the wood would basically be holding the tank. But its gotta be better then the wire shelf I have no bowing in the center, except if the wood bows it'll snap.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-26-2007, 05:09 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
Heres a link to DiabloCanine's journal on his rack system. He does a great write up with detailed pics that should help you out with your plans.

https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/di...fish-room.html

post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-26-2007, 05:35 AM Thread Starter

Perfect, exactly the idea I was going for on the 2x4s.

Thanks for the link!
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-26-2007, 05:38 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I used the 2X4's then put 1/2 inch plywood that I painted some polyurathane on the plywood to help due to condensation, because of the high humidity that we have here in Tulsa.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-26-2007, 05:54 AM Thread Starter

Did you cut them? Sort of whats similar in that link above? I was thinking about just laying them in there, but after seeing that slit cut in them - looks like I might do that and lay some plywood over the top.

Do you have any issues with the tanks not being supported on the metal frame? In that post above, he has his tanks laid length wise so atleast the corners are on the metal frame. I just wonder if the 2x4s and plywood could hold the mass of the tank..
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-26-2007, 01:28 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (50/100%)
Keep in mind that the weight ratings are normally with the weight spread evenly on the shelves.

post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-26-2007, 02:47 PM Thread Starter

Yeah, the only problem like I said was with some of the tanks not wide enough to touch the metal. I figure if I throw in alot of support beams (2x4s) across the shelf and use that it should be safe. My only concern now is water on the wood, and if it'll affect it long term.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-26-2007, 03:14 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I put several cut 2X4 laying across the depth of the shelf, My shelf is 3 ft wide and I put a 2X4 every 6 inches. Then laid the plywood on top. That way there is plenty of support. Since they aren't used for display tanks I have the 10's and 5's setting to where at the front of the stand, I see the sides of the tanks. The 29 if facing the front.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-26-2007, 06:31 PM
Everyone has an opinion

PTrader: (88/100%)
I got your PM. Can you post a pic of the rails? Did you consider a gorilla rack? (http://www.gorillarack.com/products/...individual.htm) . You should be able to find them for less than the ones in your link. Consider doubling and screwing the 2x4s together with plywood sandwiched between the 2x4s then using 3/4" plywood screwed to the 2x4s for the top. You could always run doubled 2x4s lengthwise to sit under the tank frames. Using foam board insulation under the tanks will help distribute the load so you do not get tank bottoms cracking and help keep water off the plywood. I also painted the plywood and had no issues with water getting on it. The weak point will be the ends of the 2x4s where they engage the rails. My racks work great, I took the big one down due to room and access recently. Keep in mund what works for me may not work for you......DC
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-26-2007, 07:03 PM Thread Starter

Yeah I found the same rails at home depot, although its a different brand of rack. Has the same lip and everything on the rails so the slit in the 2x4s would work great.

I might have to run them lengthwise though to get the support I need, as I doubt the tank will be wide enough to rest on the metal rail.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-26-2007, 07:21 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (50/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gundy View Post
Yeah, the only problem like I said was with some of the tanks not wide enough to touch the metal. I figure if I throw in alot of support beams (2x4s) across the shelf and use that it should be safe. My only concern now is water on the wood, and if it'll affect it long term.
Right, but it also applies to the joints where the shelving attaches to the uprights.....

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode