Added CO2 now pH is too low - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-26-2007, 02:55 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Send a message via AIM to pairustwo
Added CO2 now pH is too low

I've added a Neutrafin / Hagin CO2 system to my 20 gallon 60 watt aquarium.

I'm worried that my pH is sinking too low. Like 6.4 at the end of a 10 hour light period. It is a little higer in the morning before the lights go on.

My KH is 3 so the the buffering capacity is not super.

I'm worried about my fish. Should I be?
Should I add something to buffer the water?
Will buffering raise the pH in the existing tank water? Or will it only prevent new tap water from being lowered?
Will adding more plants prevent more CO2 from turning into acid?

Thanks

Pairustwo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-26-2007, 02:59 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (266/100%)
No.
No.
Yes.
Don't worry.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-26-2007, 05:16 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)
A nutrafin is basically a DIY setup, correct? You use yeast and sugar? If so, you'd be hard pressed to add to much CO2 to your setup. 6.4 is not low at all. What kind of fish do you have? Many fish actually thrive at pH lower than that, particularly many of the south american species we commonly keep in our tanks.

Eheim Pimp #254, Eheim Wolverine #1

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Work in progress
10 Gallon Shrimp Tank
10 Gallon Planted QT
20 Gallon Shrimp Tank (Work in progress)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-26-2007, 06:17 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (17/95%)
i never did any kind of CO2 injection
But I think injecting CO2 wont affect the TDS ( total dissolved solid), it will only create H2CO3 acid temporarily.

As a result, you should not worry about this situation much. Your fish will be fine.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-26-2007, 01:24 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (50/100%)
Agreed with the others--Don't sweat it. Life is Good! You don't need to worry about your Kh or pH, unless you have hard water cichlids or something like that.

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-26-2007, 03:12 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-26-2007, 06:38 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

OK that FAQ really addressed my specific question clearly. I've been searching the net receiving varying degrees of clarity. I should have looked under my own nose.

Quote:
A nutrafin is basically a DIY setup, correct? You use yeast and sugar? If so, you'd be hard pressed to add to much CO2 to your setup.
Yeah, I had a really nice DIY system that just stopped working. I don't know why - contamination or something but no fermentation would take place.
I wanted to buy a pressurized system but I couldn't afford the initial outlay - maybe some day. I sort of knew I couldn't poison them with this little fermentation kit but I needed to hear it again and to understand why I shouldn't worry.

Thanks.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-26-2007, 08:36 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)
Maybe you're out of sugar? yeast culture dead?

Eheim Pimp #254, Eheim Wolverine #1

Work in progress
10 Gallon Shrimp Tank
10 Gallon Planted QT
20 Gallon Shrimp Tank (Work in progress)

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-27-2007, 02:44 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishscale View Post
Maybe you're out of sugar? yeast culture dead?
I really don't know. I had two 2Liter bottles and a bubble counter all strung together using nylon bulkheads to attach the tubing together, totally air tight.
A good diffusion method (which I'm still using instead of the bubble ladder). I had experimented with different yeasts and additives. Things were going well - other than I wasn't psyched to be changing the yeast every two or three weeks, but whatever. Then one day I couldn't get the bubble started. I tried starting with cooler water, tried with different yeast, tried without molasses, tried without the yeast vitamins I got from the Homebrew shop. Nothing. So I tossed it.

One thing I can think of is that it gets really cold in my house and there isn't a thing I can do about it. I tried putting the 2Liter bottles in a bucket filled with water and an old heater but it didn't seem to work and I got to nervous with a plastic bucket filled with water and a heater hanging out under my aquarium with lots of electricity. I didn't want it to melt through the side.

The Nutrafin thing seems pretty solid so maybe it is insulated a little?

Pairustwo

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode