Will I need CO2??? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-11-2014, 02:18 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Will I need CO2???

Looking to put a dual bulb 24in T5HO over a 29 gallon tank, I have s. repens, sword, ludwigia repens, crypt, and dwarf lily. I am trying to avoid co2 but dont want an algae farm. Will this light work for me, or to powerful?

Thanks in advance,
Anthony
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-11-2014, 03:48 AM

That light will be just fine for a 29g. If you want good growth and no algae you need to have a good balanced macro and micro fert regime. For avoiding pressurized CO2 but still give the plants a boost of extra carbon, use Excel or Metricide14. They are forms of liquid carbon that's about 60% as effective as pressurized. Research Gluteraldehyde. That's the ingredient in them. Metricide 14 is sold on Amazon and is twice the strength of Excel. You can buy it by the gallon and is much cheaper than Excel. A plus for Glut is that it is a mild algaecide. OS.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-11-2014, 04:04 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
+1 with above but just adding that if you don't do the Excel thing you MAY need to tone the lights down just a bit in any of four ways: raise them/put screen between it and the tank/limit the hrs on it/use less than type of bulbs in at least one slot of the two. Less than = actinic/generic T5 such as 4100K or some 6500K in generic brands.
Example of Generic brand: Odyssea 6500K...use only/w other brand as "other" bulb as it will effect the color less that way. A picture of a tank/w all Odyssea 6500K bulbs can be seen in this thread. https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...02#post5287602

The shortest distance between any two points is a straight line...in the opposite direction...

Last edited by Raymond S.; 02-11-2014 at 04:05 AM. Reason: change

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-11-2014, 04:49 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I'm buying the light for my mothers tank. She has and uses excel. I'll have to get her on a schedule for dosing. Now I have the same 24in odyssea dual T5HO overy 20long shrimp tank and algae is starting to grow, both green spot and hair algae. The 20l has a height of 12in and the 29 gal has a height of 18 o think. Im reducing the lighting period from 9hrs to 6 SK hopefully that helps. I was on aquatraders and I see there is also a 30 inch. The 29 gal is 30 in. Not sure if I should go with the 24in or 30in. Like I said I don't want problems with algae so I may just play it safe with the 24incher and regularly dosing excel.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-11-2014, 07:55 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
I have the 20" version for my ten G tank. Before I accidentally found two threads where people knocked ther bulbs in it for odd color, I had already ordered one True Lumen "Flora" from Doctors Foster & Smith. Looks pink in the add but says 6700 in the product description and shows white when lit.
Best purchase I ever made on a bulb. The color/w that and one of the bulbs supplied/w the fixture is more natural/lifelike than any other bulb I've seen.
They do not come in 30" in that brand and you will find this in some other brands as well when looking for the 30" bulbs so 24" may be a better choice for that reason also.

The shortest distance between any two points is a straight line...in the opposite direction...
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-11-2014, 03:46 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)
You'll be fine without Co2 I ran that same setup (48W 30" NovaExtreme) on my 29G for years sans Co2. When I added another fixture is when I started needing Co2. Excel is a good idea though.

On the 24" vs 30" it will be the same thing as the bulbs are the same length just the housing is longer to fit the 29G. Its like that for all T5HO fixtures. The bulbs only come in set sizes like 12", 24", 36" etc.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-11-2014, 05:37 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks for all of your help guys

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode