amano shrimp dead in less than an hour - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-10-2014, 03:16 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (4/100%)
amano shrimp dead in less than an hour

I have a well planted tank with pressurized co2 and EI fertilization. I have the co2 cranked up really high to combat BBA, but it's also well oxygenated and my fish are all doing fine. I've been more liberal with adding EI ferts because whenever I test the water my nitrates and ammonia are near zero. Inline heater keeps the tank around 80F. I've always had trouble certain species, for example, I've tried shrimp several times and I can't keep them alive. Same with otos, and I unfortunately killed a group of Dario Dario earlier this winter. Not sure what is going on, because my harlequins, CPDs, and pygmy cories are all doing fine. I'll add these new species, they'll all drop dead in less than a week, and a water test reveals no irregularities.

After giving up for a few months, I decided to try Amanos once more. I put 5 in the tank, and was shocked when all were dead in less than an hour, some in minutes.

My understanding was that organics from Ferts wouldn't kill livestock, and I'd be surprised if I was using ferts in quantities that could kill.

I keep being told that if I have BBA, to raise my co2. I have killed livestock in the past by having co2 up this high and filling the water above the filter outlet, reducing aeration. I added a spraybar to prevent this. However, I think my co2 is way overkill considering I've had to reduce light to 5 hours per day to stop algea growth. I suspect my co2 is so high that maybe new livestock can't adjust?

I suspect my algea problem is a combination of high organics (dead plant matter in the substrate from black outs, excel treatments, etc to kill algea), and the actinics in my LED light.

The species specific die-offs, I have no idea.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-10-2014, 03:22 PM
Wannabe Guru

How did you acclimate your amanos? or any of your creatures when you put them in for that matter?

Drip acclimation
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-10-2014, 03:25 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
I've learned this the hard way too. If your injecting co2 you cannot simply just drop new livestock in your tank. You'll need to turn off co2 and agitate the water to out gas the co2 first. Add your new livestock then let your co2 go on at the regular schedule the next day at a reduced level. Slow ramp it back up to your regular level over a course of a week. This gives your new livestock a chance to slowly adjust to the new co2/o2 levels.

I'll let someone else chime in on your algae issues. You may want to post up your current fixture, height from the substrate, and photo period.

7g Cube -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-10-2014, 03:37 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

http://msjinkzd.com/news/acclimating...heir-new-tank/

"The following is the method which has yielded the highest survival rates for my purposes. First have a net, water conditioner, a container (bucket or pitcher), and some airline available. Immediately upon opening the shipping bag, add a few drops of water conditioner to detoxify the ammonia. Which product is not important, though I use Prime. From this point on it is preference. I prefer to then pour the fish into a net (over the bucket as they are quite jumpy) and add them directly to a dark tank. Typically they are adjusted and acting relatively normally, sometimes even willing to feed, within about 20 minutes. Many prefer the drip method. I have no issue with the drip method, but in order for it to really be effective, it should be done over a minimum of several hours."
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-10-2014, 04:25 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
I think Devilduck is on the right track. I moved some fish from my non-CO2 tank to my CO2 tank this weekend and they all ended up near the surface for a while. Luckily I didn't loose any.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-10-2014, 06:54 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (153/100%)
Abrupt changes in water hardness will also kill animals fast.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-10-2014, 07:08 PM
Honeycomb Master

PTrader: (122/100%)
You HAVE to acclimate amano shrimp extremely slowly if they are going into a tank with pressurized CO2. They are very sensitive to rapid changes in pH and oxygen levels. I wouldn't do anything less than a 2-3 hour drip acclimation just to be safe, and doing it for longer wouldn't hurt either.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-10-2014, 07:11 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by devilduck View Post
I've learned this the hard way too. If your injecting co2 you cannot simply just drop new livestock in your tank. You'll need to turn off co2 and agitate the water to out gas the co2 first. Add your new livestock then let your co2 go on at the regular schedule the next day at a reduced level. Slow ramp it back up to your regular level over a course of a week. This gives your new livestock a chance to slowly adjust to the new co2/o2 levels.

I'll let someone else chime in on your algae issues. You may want to post up your current fixture, height from the substrate, and photo period.

Yeah, you have to add any live stocks when most of the CO2 has been gassed off. This mean, you should put in your live stocks at night time. For shrimps, that's not even a guarantee they will thrive in the high tech tank. High fert contents as well as high CO2 will eventually kill them. I once had about 40+ amano shrimps. I believe they were dying slowly within 2 months. Now, I only keep them in my low tech, excel only tank. They are doing fine after being kept in the same tank for 6 months. I think I killed one because he jumped out of the tank. And one just died mysteriously in the tank. This was the first few weeks I had them.

Canon Pimp Club #005
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-10-2014, 07:44 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

i've really been impressed with my purchases from msjinkzed, but i wish this consideration with pressurized co2 was noted with her endorsement of the "net and drop" method!
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-10-2014, 07:45 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

FYI, i did not purchase these amanos from msjinkzd, but have been using her non acclimation method since reading that post.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode