CO2 diffusion through filters??? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-24-2007, 05:38 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
CO2 diffusion through filters???

I recently set up a DIY CO2 and originally had it running through a small powerhead so it got mulched up and injected to the tank water but the powerhead I was using seemed to disrupt my tank to much (a little to strong?) and since it wasn't adjustable I just took it out.

So I decided to strap the CO2 outlet hose to my Aquaclear HOB uplift tube so that it would suck up the CO2 and mulch it in the process of filtering my water. At first I thought this was a good idea since it will have lots of contact with water flowing through as it makes its way through my filter media.

But then I started wondering if that is going to negatively affect my bacteria or sour my filter in some way? I don't know am I overthinking this or what?

Can some one tell me if this is going to work ok or if they have used this method with good results? Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-24-2007, 06:01 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (69/100%)
I use an airstone under the HOB filter intake on several tanks. It works great and doesn't harm the filter in anyway. I've never had and aquaclear, but I'm pretty sure they will work the same as the marineland HOB filters I use.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-24-2007, 06:07 PM Thread Starter

I don't currently have an airstone, was just letting it flow open at the moment but that sounds like a good idea... maybe cut down on the chopping sound lol as I'm getting a pretty good rate of bubbles out of my rig since its fresh.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-24-2007, 06:47 PM
Algae Grower

I used to do it...

...when I was a newbe with a DIY yeast reactor plumbed to bubble CO2 below the intake of a cannister filter. It worked well and despite all the rumors to the contrary, it will not harm your biological filter bacteria in the filter.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-24-2007, 07:41 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (278/99%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by yoink View Post
I use an airstone under the HOB filter intake on several tanks. It works great and doesn't harm the filter in anyway. I've never had and aquaclear, but I'm pretty sure they will work the same as the marineland HOB filters I use.
you get a good co2 concentration diffusing through a hob?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-24-2007, 08:01 PM

PTrader: (1/100%)
I've got a 20L that has two 10gal HOB filters on each corner. As long as the water is over the lip, there isn't a disturbance to outgas CO2. I used to run the airline into the filters until I got tired of the annoying sound of the bubbles getting chopped up.

Anyways, I use a wooden airstone ( limewood ) and then I put a powerhead ontop of it, so it sucks up the microbubbles and blows them across the tank. Most powerheads come in smaller sizes, I've got a 660 Pengiun Powerhead which isn't very powerful but gets the job done. I like to have some circulation, keeps dead spots from accumulating mulm and crap.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-24-2007, 08:56 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (69/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmith782 View Post
you get a good co2 concentration diffusing through a hob?
On a ten gallon tank with the water level all the way up, yes.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode