Hobby switching - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-23-2007, 03:12 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (11/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to dufus
Hobby switching

anyone else had the urge to slow or stop their planted tanking and switch to another hobby?

I've been looking into dart frogs for about a year now, but in the past month, i've spent more time on dendroboard.com than any other site, TPT included.

Maybe it's attributed to the fact i just got my first dart frogs.
I've been looking into buying bromeliads and other vivarium plants just to keep kind of as stock, just like i did with aquarium plants a while back.

I've broken down 1 of my planted tanks and turned it into a viv, and took one of my nanos to my grandma's house for her a betta tank.

I now have an even balance of vivariums and aquariums in my room, the ration being 3:3,lol. And i already designed, built, and partially planted a VIV at my grandparents house, just like a few years ago i made them a 55 planted aquarium.

Just wondering who else is switching hobbies?

-Devin-
Steve irwin- a father, a hero, a memory now. -We'll miss you mate
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-23-2007, 03:18 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (278/99%)
i knoow what your saying, i have always loved fish tanks, then things kinda got stagnant, i then discovered planted tanks and went crazy, got alittle slow, and now im really into shrimp and dwarf inverts!

i think it will probly be the same with you and your dwarf frogs, just a more costly conversion!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-23-2007, 08:16 PM

PTrader: (0/0%)
I switched to leopard geckos for a few months but now im already back into aquariums, No matter what I will always have the aquarium bug lol.

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-23-2007, 08:38 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (50/100%)
I've often thought about getting rid of my aquatic snakes, but I know that I would regret it. I still think about it sometimes, but everything is fully automated now including the WCs and dechlor--so all I do is feed the fish. The way I like things actually! With the snakes, feeder fish, fish, plants, plumbing, electrical--its been a heck of a ride over the last 2 1/2yrs! But I've enjoyed it even when I was pulling my hair out! I am Curious George and I do gravitate from one thing to another, but Somehow, for me, I think there will be atleast 1 tank of water around for many yrs to come......

post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-23-2007, 09:21 PM

WOW, great topic.

I had a "chipped" 75g glass tank I was too scared to put water in and deceided to keep 6 dart frogs in it. WHAT a wonderful experience.

Dart frogs are wonderful animals to keep, and offer a challanging hobby. Myself, I was able to breed and sell, and give away a hundred frogs.

I was able to use most of my aquarium substrate, and an internal filter to create both a "damp" and moist environment with a small pool. My frogs flourished, I had a great breeding colony with a excellent environment.

They had a constant supply of fruit flies, form on-line store and home grown. In the summer I ventured to find their favorite, termites. I cultivated turmites from a local woodland park, they went crazy for termintes.

After several years we bought a new home and was not able to "manage" the move in the dead of winter, I lost three frogs all females, and with the intruption of food, and environment, I deceided to give the others away.

Dart Frogs seem senistive to environmental changes, With dart frogs It is important to maintain a constant environment and if you have the chance and time to enjoy them, they are wonderful.

I really miss my Darts.
http://www.califrognia.com/images/Bl...frog_wmark.jpg

Regards.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-23-2007, 11:35 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Send a message via Yahoo to ikuzo
i always wanted to keep indian star turtle, but they're so expensive.

post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-24-2007, 12:48 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (100/100%)
I have to take time for other hobbies every so often. I have so many that I love and so little time and money for them all. It's hard to prioritize them sometimes. I'll always have my aquariums, but sometimes they have to come second so I can devote time and funds to other things.

Come spring, hopefully I will be finished with all my DIY aquarium projects. I'd like to build another r/c plane. It's been a long time since I've built, flown, and crashed one. I kinda miss that.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-24-2007, 07:29 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
Send a message via AIM to RoseHawke Send a message via MSN to RoseHawke
So many hobbies, so little time . I'm just looking forward to the day when I can really get back to my hobbies. Even thought I "seem" to spend a lot of time on the computer, and on forums, it's something I can pick up and put down, just spend a minute or two and then go and do something else. Most of my craft type hobbies take a lot of time. Painting (which I haven't done for years), pottery and sculpture, gardening (the terrestrial kind), maybe some real woodworking instead of doing something because I have to. I think that's why several of the house projects got a little fancier than they needed to be to be purely functional; I had to have some kind of artistic outlet! I have to make time for the aquariums and I don't like that.

I have occasionally thought of doing a paludarium/vivarium as they fascinate me, but then the sweet voice of reason kicks in . . .

Sláinte!
Cindy

-
— 2wpg CF lighting; pressurized CO2; 18 watt Turbo-twist UVS; Eheim Pro II 2028; eco-complete; 2 Pearl Gouramis; 7 Harlequin Rasboras; 3 Otocinclus catfish

— lo-tech; 1.8 wpg DIY CF light; no CO2; Aquaclear mini; Schultz substrate; java fern; java moss; 7 Neon Tetras; 1 flame dwarf gourami
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-24-2007, 08:20 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)
Cooking and fish tanks are not mutually exclusive, unless I'm making sushi

Eheim Pimp #254, Eheim Wolverine #1

Work in progress
10 Gallon Shrimp Tank
10 Gallon Planted QT
20 Gallon Shrimp Tank (Work in progress)

post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-24-2007, 09:51 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (62/100%)
Send a message via AIM to eyebeatbadgers
I enjoy both planted tank keeping and four wheel drive truck off-road driving. The latter is a bit more expensive though, which is why I'm more active with my tanks.

post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-24-2007, 11:11 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (22/100%)
I've got the planted tank, a flourishing shrimp tank and a pair of leopard geckos...too many hobbies

Eheim pimp #255

75 gallon semi-aggressive community tank with pressurized CO2, 8.6 gallon cherry shrimp tank
40 breeder reef

post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-24-2007, 11:36 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (18/100%)
Not a huge change, but I just got back from the in-laws for the holiday and my father-in-law has a 150 gal. reef tank. Now, I must have. Just need the funds, any donors?

post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-25-2007, 04:45 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (95/100%)
I'm following you there Dufus-Iv'e been spending an equal amount of time here and the dendroboard. Building a 65 gallon viv for darts in the spring
Cindy

Cynthia
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-25-2007, 07:40 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Some other things I'd like to try (though related to the hobby):

- goldfish only tank with hardy plants like izuso's
- turtle terrarium -- red-eared sliders
- marine tank -- either fish-only, or reef-focused

Carpentry would be something non-related I'd like to try.
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-25-2007, 06:16 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (9/100%)
I was really into planted tanks till May of this year when I bought my 07 vstar motorcycle Now I spend my time customizing it and riding. Still like to trim my tanks but the bike is pretty fun at the moment.

Filstar Pimp #27

"Insert your own tag line here"

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode