CO2 tank ran out - can't get to LFS - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-09-2014, 08:45 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (4/100%)
CO2 tank ran out - can't get to LFS

Hey everyone,

I have a high tech extremely dense-planted tank that runs CO2. Unfortunately my tank just ran out and a massive snow storm smacked the Pacific Northwest and I can't get out of my driveway. It's going to take a couple days for me to get the tank refilled, so I was wondering what I should do in the meantime? Should I just keep my light cycle the same and dose gloc? Or would this be the time to do a blackout until I can get it refilled? The tank just got established and was beginning to grow into the scape I want, and I don't want to crash it. This tank has a Ray II over it and you can't see the substrate with all of the plant mass.

Thanks a lot!

~Kyle
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-09-2014, 09:39 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Cut your light way back.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-09-2014, 10:43 PM
Banned

PTrader: (15/100%)
If you have ambient light, it should be fine if you turned off the tank light. Otherwise, you should cut the photoperiod down significantly. Keep your plant selection in mind if you do this.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-10-2014, 12:36 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (62/100%)
as a side note: id look for a welding supply shop to fill the tank. It may be cheaper than the LFS

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

There are 2 types of people on this forum. Those that have algae, and those that lie and say they don't.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-10-2014, 04:38 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solcielo lawrencia View Post
If you have ambient light, it should be fine if you turned off the tank light. Otherwise, you should cut the photoperiod down significantly. Keep your plant selection in mind if you do this.
Yeah I basically just dosed gloc and cut it back to a 4 hour period. BBA is showing on the substrate (slightly) so I'm guessing the swing in CO2 is being noticed. I was able to get out today and am going to run it over to the shop - I'll do a water change tonight and hook everything back up. Thanks a lot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChadRamsey View Post
as a side note: id look for a welding supply shop to fill the tank. It may be cheaper than the LFS
My LFS only charges $1 per pound so I think it's affordable. Plus the LFS is a mile away and the nearest welding supply is about 10.

~Kyle

Last edited by Darkblade48; 02-10-2014 at 05:39 PM. Reason: Please use the edit function for back to back posts to keep threads cleaner
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-10-2014, 04:42 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)
look for any places that provide "medical gas" as well. I run out to a joint called "mac's medical gases" for my refills.

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-10-2014, 04:57 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (18/100%)
Do nothing. Two days or even a week without co2 isn't going to do squat to your tank if it's densely planted and has ample ferts.

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-10-2014, 07:16 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)
Reduce your water surface agitation. Don't turn on the light at all. Just allow the ambient light to light up the tank. If you have excel, you can dose it for the moment.

Canon Pimp Club #005
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-11-2014, 08:52 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Thanks all for the responses. I enjoy how diverse the suggestions are. I just reduced the photoperiod to a few hours and will have the tank up and running tonight after a water change.

~Kyle
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-11-2014, 09:19 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (34/95%)
Ive had cases where I went out of town for 2 weeks and just shut it off and never had a problem. Still ran my lights the same, didnt want to gas my fish while I was gone. Plants just stop growing, you may get a little algae but nothing that wont be cured by the time you get the co2 running

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode