Liquid CO2 in a dirt tank. Bad Idea? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-09-2014, 06:20 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Liquid CO2 in a dirt tank. Bad Idea?

Hey everyone, I've got a 10 gallon dirt tank with low lighting. Growth is great but I want to experiment with liquid CO2. Is this a good idea or should I run the opposite direction screaming? Also, if I did add the CO2 can you recommend a brand? All input is appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-09-2014, 07:48 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (4/100%)
It's not going to do anything horrible as long as your plants aren't sensitive to liquid CO2. I'd give it a shot as I usually do that on dirt tanks anyway. Seachem is the typical brand most people would recommend.

~Kyle
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-09-2014, 08:23 AM
Banned

PTrader: (15/100%)
Glutaraldehyde is all the same, just in different concentrations. It's used as a medical disinfectant and floor cleaner. You can buy a gallon of it pretty cheaply compared to the aquarium-marketed ones. You'll have to dilute it to the necessary concentration or else you'll kill everything in the tank. If you go this route, be sure to come back and ask questions before you dose.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-11-2014, 05:49 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks guys, I'll buy some Seachem from Amazon.

Would that be Seachem Flourish Excel?

Last edited by Darkblade48; 02-11-2014 at 11:55 PM. Reason: Back to back posts
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-11-2014, 05:54 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (10/100%)
yes, flourish Excel is what you're looking for
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-12-2014, 08:20 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Alright I got the Seachem in the mail today. I'm not very good with daily maintenance of my tank, so my question is do I need to continuously do this everyday or every other day? What if I skipped a few days or did it once a week?
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-13-2014, 12:44 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Dose Excel every day or at least every other day. The active ingredient breaks down in something like 24 hours, so after 2 days there's nothing going on. Most people just add it to their fish feeding ritual. (assuming you have something other than plants in the tank)

I recommend a needle-less syringe for dosing, since 10 gal uses small amounts and pouring small amounts into the cap (which doesn't even have graduated lines, just the screw threads!) gets old really fast. I think you can sometimes get one free or cheap at CVS and the like. I have a lousy memory so I like to do the math once and then put the amount needed for my tank on a post-it, securely taped to the bottle so I never need to read the instructions again.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-13-2014, 01:59 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Cool thanks, What time would you suggest adding it? Don't plants use CO2 when the lights are on and oxygen when the lights are off? So it would be wise to add it when I first turn my lights on? Maybe I'm wrong on this.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-13-2014, 04:27 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacquelyn View Post
Cool thanks, What time would you suggest adding it? Don't plants use CO2 when the lights are on and oxygen when the lights are off? So it would be wise to add it when I first turn my lights on? Maybe I'm wrong on this.
Nope, you nailed it. Add it when you turn your lights on, so the co2 is available to the plants as they start looking for it when the photo period begins.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-13-2014, 04:50 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Ditto the eye dropper/child medicine dispenser/syringe idea. I have all 3 in various volumes. The eye dropper with the squeeze bulb is the fastest, but the bulb wears out (lasts a long time, though). From eye dropper to turkey baster.
The syringe is really good for dosing several tanks. Take all you need in the syringe and dose each tank according to its need because the syringe is clearly labeled.

Child medicine measure or teaspoons (kitchen) are almost as bad as using the lid.

I use a Sharpie marker and mark the dosing on the bottles. Works great on the white bottles, and I have a silver Sharpie for dark bottles. Since I have several tanks I note a few doses on each bottle, so I can dose high or low levels.

The heavy duty sticky/post it with a rubber band will stay on really well, too.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode