New to live plants and struggling - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-09-2014, 12:53 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
New to live plants and struggling

Hi all I am new to this forum and also newer to live plants. I am having trouble keeping plants alive I know this is a vague description but all of my sword plants seem to deteriorate on the leaves. My tank is a 90 hex and I have a pretty good stock of fish in it. My tank is built around my discus it is a sand bottom tank about 28 inches deep. My light is a dual bulb t5 ho using a 10k and a actnic bulb. I have flourish tabs in the substrate and I have tried using low doses of flourish excel but I'm afraid to over do the co2 due to my fish. If anyone has advice please help.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-09-2014, 12:57 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (7/100%)
I'm assuming you haven't had the swords long? When you buy them from the store they have the leaves they grew being mostly out of the water. Once they are fully submersed those leaves die and they get their fully aquatic leaves. You have done nothing wrong! this is what the leaves will look like when they grow back https://www.google.com/search?q=swor...D1%3B375%3B300
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-09-2014, 12:59 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
How long have the plants been in there? Looks like typical melt to me. It usually takes time for them to adjust. Usually so long as you see some new growth going on they will be okay. I would think you have plenty of light and usually all that swords and banana plants need are root tabs and light. But I do not know how tall your tank is and it looks tall. Do you happen to know the dimensions?

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-09-2014, 01:03 AM Thread Starter

I have had the shorter greener one for roughly 4 months and the taller more yellow one that looks worst for about a month. My tank is 28 inches to the substrate from the light.

Using Tapatalk
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-09-2014, 01:25 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Flourish excel is not CO2. It is a compound that has carbon in it that plants can uptake. I'm wondering if changing your lighting spectrum might help. I have read plenty of people saying they grow just fine under 10k lights but most use 6500k or 6700k for growing plants.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-09-2014, 01:31 AM Thread Starter

My bulbs are getting old so I am looking into changing my bulbs to a different spectrum I wanted some other opinions on that because I do really like the blue of the actnic because it really makes my discus and other fish pop.

Using Tapatalk

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode