How do you make a plant dip? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-08-2014, 10:20 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
How do you make a plant dip?

I just got back from buying some new plants, penny wart. I want to dip them before I put them in my tank.
I've never done this before so if anyone can tell me how to do it with out damaging my plants I would really appreciate it.
I normally just put my plants in with out dipping them, but I finally got most of my algae under control and I sure don't want to introduce some new kind..
Thank you!
EDIT! Okay I just looked up Penny Wart and that's not the plant I got... I'll have to do some searching to find out what I actually got, it was sold as Penny wart...

Betta sorority--25 Cube tank

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-08-2014, 11:07 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Penny Wort is the common name of a couple of different species.
Hydrocotyle is the most common botanical name when you are talking about penny wort for aquariums or ponds. There are several species of Hydrocotyle.

Lysmachia nummularia is another plant that may be called Penny Wort. It is also called Creeping Jenny. It is not a true underwater plants, but thrives on the margins of a stream or pond.

Wort is a common name that means soft plant, herb, non-woody plant. Penny Wort could be used for almost any soft plant with round or nearly round leaves.

To make a plant dip, it depends on what you are killing.
Select the chemical that will kill what you want at a dose that will not harm the plants.
Also, figure out what will break down that chemical, and have it ready.

Here are a few examples:
Bleach: If you have the old laundry bleach (not the concentrate) then 19 parts water: 1 part bleach is generally safe for most plants, but the duration is important. The softer the leaf, the shorter time they should be exposed to the bleach. From about 10 seconds to 2 minutes is common.
To deactivate bleach have a bucket with a double dose of dechlor ready to dip the plants into when the bleach treatment is complete.

Hydrogen Peroxide.
To deactivate it- don't worry about it. The trace that lingers on the plant will not be a problem in the aquarium.

Potassium permanganate.
To deactivate it have a bucket with hydrogen peroxide in it standing by.

Excel: Do a dip with the highest recommended dose.
To deactivate it: Don't worry about it, the trace that lingers is not a problem for the aquarium.

there are many other things that will kill algae, snails and other invaders.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-08-2014, 11:29 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana View Post
Penny Wort is the common name of a couple of different species.
Hydrocotyle is the most common botanical name when you are talking about penny wort for aquariums or ponds. There are several species of Hydrocotyle.

Lysmachia nummularia is another plant that may be called Penny Wort. It is also called Creeping Jenny. It is not a true underwater plants, but thrives on the margins of a stream or pond.

Wort is a common name that means soft plant, herb, non-woody plant. Penny Wort could be used for almost any soft plant with round or nearly round leaves.

To make a plant dip, it depends on what you are killing.
Select the chemical that will kill what you want at a dose that will not harm the plants.
Also, figure out what will break down that chemical, and have it ready.

Here are a few examples:
Bleach: If you have the old laundry bleach (not the concentrate) then 19 parts water: 1 part bleach is generally safe for most plants, but the duration is important. The softer the leaf, the shorter time they should be exposed to the bleach. From about 10 seconds to 2 minutes is common.
To deactivate bleach have a bucket with a double dose of dechlor ready to dip the plants into when the bleach treatment is complete.

Hydrogen Peroxide.
To deactivate it- don't worry about it. The trace that lingers on the plant will not be a problem in the aquarium.

Potassium permanganate.
To deactivate it have a bucket with hydrogen peroxide in it standing by.

Excel: Do a dip with the highest recommended dose.
To deactivate it: Don't worry about it, the trace that lingers is not a problem for the aquarium.

there are many other things that will kill algae, snails and other invaders.
Thanks Diana, that is very helpful info, and I appreciate it.
I have the hydrogen peroxide on hand, do I need to dilute it with water of just use it straight? How long should be sufficient to kill algae? I'm not worried about snails because my Bettas kill every hitchhiker that might come along.
Thanks also for the identification info, best I can tell it's money wart instead of penny wart.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-08-2014, 11:41 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Money Wort is usually Lysmachia nummularia
H2O2 does need to be diluted, but each place you look for info will give you a different answer.
Longer soaking, milder dilution, or make a stronger dilution, but keep the plants in there for a shorter period of time. I have seen suggestions for as high a rate as 4 tablespoons per gallon for up to 15 minutes. I have not tried that rate, though.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-09-2014, 12:05 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana View Post
Money Wort is usually Lysmachia nummularia
H2O2 does need to be diluted, but each place you look for info will give you a different answer.
Longer soaking, milder dilution, or make a stronger dilution, but keep the plants in there for a shorter period of time. I have seen suggestions for as high a rate as 4 tablespoons per gallon for up to 15 minutes. I have not tried that rate, though.
Okay thank you!!

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-09-2014, 03:29 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
As always Diana great & very helpful info. I have some plants that I'm moving from a tank that has some algae to a new(used) tank so didn't want to transfer that algae to it.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode