This is my tank... - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-21-2007, 05:46 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
This is my tank...

Hey guys, this is my 16 gallon bow front tank.. It has been running for 2 years.. used to be so nice with such lush growth.. then let the CO2 stop, and it went to crap.. It is now at my parents house but I have got everything going again and added some new plants.. the grass spread out nicely through the dead stage though.. Motivated to make it nice again!
I have a Magnum 250 HOT filter, through drilling holes in the exhaust hose.. and putting a little filter media in the end.. I have slowed it to where the pump is silent, there is no surface agitation and the plants are not being tossed about.. is there such thing as too much water exchange with no surface ripples? My CO2 is DIY Hagen Yeast, and I have a 65 Watt Coralife light...
any comments besides the obvious of my gravel needing a lot of attention in the vacume department.. the tank is at my parents so I am not there to do it.. but is there a trick to getting it all without so many water changes??
Sorry complete rookie here

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-21-2007, 07:17 PM
eds

PTrader: (8/100%)
Those look like swords on the R side and back L corner. Those and the vals (back R corner) will likely get too large for a 16 gal.
And you might want to scrub the back glass before taking pics to post!

One approach would be to plant a number of different plants, and see which ones do well given the level of care you are able/willing to provide. Your light is going to go a long way towards determining what does/doesn't do well.

You don't need/want to vaccum your substrate in a planted tank. That's the good stuff the plants want.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-21-2007, 07:54 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (11/100%)
I like it, it has some potential. I would agree with eds that you should find plants that will match your desired level of maintenance.

Maybe slap a black background on there? Cords/filters are distracting

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Filstar Pimp #130

My 55G:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-21-2007, 10:40 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Thanks for the feed back guys! Those "sword" plants I have had the whole 2 years.. when it was thriving I had plant matter from the bottom to the top.. I agree though proper plants would limit pruning.. This is also why I haven't been worried about a back ground in the past.. But consider these photos equivalent to a pile of equipment on the floor, as this is ready for a re vamp..

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode