Co2 Solenoid question - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-08-2014, 01:57 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Co2 Solenoid question

I was wondering if someone could explain how the Solenoid system works with my Hydor pressurized Co2.

I understand that the Solenoid can be put onto a timer to run in tandem with my lights, but won't pressure build up in my Co2 line and cause the line to rupture?

I'm sorry if this is a stupid question, but I'm getting tired of manually having to turn off and on my Co2 every night and morning.

Some people have said to just leave it on overnight but anytime I've done this my Co2 levels have been through the roof by the time I wake up in the morning.

Any advice or videos would be greatly appreciated, I had my DIY system blow up and ever since then I've been cautious with any Co2 both for my fish & the cleanliness of my house

Also, whats a decent price to pay for a good Solenoid? I've heard they heat up which another one of my concerns.

Thanks in advance

http://www.amazon.com/Replacement-CO2-Solenoid-For-Regulator/dp/B001EHCCM2
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-08-2014, 02:00 AM
Children Boogie

PTrader: (13/100%)
the solenoid connects directly to the pressure regulator. No buildup in CO2 line. The line is then connected to the solenoid.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-08-2014, 02:04 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistergreen View Post
the solenoid connects directly to the pressure regulator. No buildup in CO2 line. The line is then connected to the solenoid.
http://s201.photobucket.com/user/att...1831b.jpg.html

my system is a little ghetto, I bought my regulator off ebay for 25 bucks. I'm not sure how I can hook it directly up to it?

Again, sorry if I'm an idiot

I would imagine I'd run the airline from the regulator to the solenoid but the regulator would be open the entire time which would mean that pressure would build up in the line.

I should just take the plunge and buy a real regulator, but for my 29 gallon tank what I hav e now is kind of working.

had I known that I would have dumped all the extra money into fittings and extra crap for the Hydor I would have just purchased a Milwaukee regulator & I would have had this problem.

In time I think i'm going to swap out the Hydor and put it on one of my smaller tanks and get a real setup so I can set it and forget it

Last edited by Darkblade48; 02-08-2014 at 07:21 AM. Reason: Please use the edit function for back to back posts to keep threads cleaner

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-08-2014, 07:58 AM
Banned

PTrader: (15/100%)
What is the output pressure of the paintball CO2 tank? It must be adjusted so as to not exceed the rated pressure of the air tubing. If it exceeds, the tubing will fail.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-08-2014, 02:34 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Two ways to adjust and make it work are available. Depending on the type of diffuser you are using, the pressure may be turned down to a level the tubing can hold, or new tubing that can hold more pressure might be used from the solenoid to the CO2 tank. Tubing comes in a wide variety of types and there is one available to hold some really high pressure but it does take some study and search to find the correct one.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode