First rimless tank, glass movement (avoid Truaqua) - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 42 (permalink) Old 02-08-2014, 01:42 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)
First rimless tank, glass movement (avoid Truaqua)

I got my aquatop 8.7 from truaqua today. Packing was great, tank looks great. I was inspecting the tank and noticed both side pieces of glass have some wiggle in them. Doesn't take much force to see side to side movement. Do I need to worry about this? Could the cold have affected the silicon? We have a foot of snow and below freezing temps right now. It spent 2 days on a truck here. Ive never had a rimless before. Is there an ok threshold with this?

Last edited by Italionstallion888; 02-11-2014 at 07:20 PM. Reason: info
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 42 (permalink) Old 02-08-2014, 02:24 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
That's pretty sketchy, I would contact the place you got it from and ask for a full refund..
post #3 of 42 (permalink) Old 02-08-2014, 03:52 AM

PTrader: (15/100%)
I would agree that it looks pretty faulty

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 42 (permalink) Old 02-08-2014, 10:09 PM
MSG
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)
Always wondered about these tanks....

Can you try to get some more focused photos on the "corner seams" of the tank?

I have a rimless 4G tank by Marina, edges are not the best, but they're solid. Here's couple photos of DBP tank corner edge as comparison.

Cold temperatures shouldn't degrade the silicone if it was "cured" properly.
post #5 of 42 (permalink) Old 02-08-2014, 10:28 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Here is a video, none of the panes are touching. There is sealant between them. Its soft and moves. I dont think it cured.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ERZm...e_gdata_player

post #6 of 42 (permalink) Old 02-09-2014, 12:47 AM
MSG
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Good thing you had enough sense to inspect it closely before you added water. Next time I come across a rimless I'll have to give it a closer inspection.
  • Silicone even when it's cured should flex a little, but I thought TruAqua used a STRONGER grade in their tanks. Looks like the person who assembled it did a really poor job of lining up the glass before the silicone was applied.
Hopefully, the video should be enough proof for the customer service to replace/refund your money.

The 4G rimless Marina tank doesn't flex like that whatsoever. I also have a Mr H2o tank I can do the flex test on as well.
  • I hope the other member that own a RIMLESS tank from this company can post some images of their seams. I was going to give them out as gifts. Second guessing it now.

Thanks for posting the video.
post #7 of 42 (permalink) Old 02-09-2014, 01:39 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

I was really let down by this. I decided on this over the fluval spec v. I'm second guessing that decision now.

post #8 of 42 (permalink) Old 02-09-2014, 01:46 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

I have one of their rimless cubes and just tried to move the seam and it didn't budge. I will say that my old all glass would move about that much but it wasn't rimless. Why not try putting water in it, outside, and see how it does. That amount of flex might be normal for that type of tank. BTW, Truaqua seems to have good service I have an issue with a heater suction cup and called them. They too great care of me. Good luck

post #9 of 42 (permalink) Old 02-09-2014, 01:49 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

I put my empty hob and it pulled the back glass away from the sides. Add water and a clip on light and I see water on the carpet.

post #10 of 42 (permalink) Old 02-09-2014, 02:27 AM
Algae Grower

Why didn't you do it outside? Lol. Looks like no qc was done :/. I would imagine the glass not being fully clean and had dust when they were putting it together or moved the tank before it was fully cured.
post #11 of 42 (permalink) Old 02-09-2014, 02:33 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

There is about a foot of snow on the ground, the patio is a 1/4 inch of ice. I have nowhere but the bathtub

post #12 of 42 (permalink) Old 02-09-2014, 02:51 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Sucks man. Hope they take good care of you.

post #13 of 42 (permalink) Old 02-09-2014, 08:27 AM
Banned

PTrader: (15/100%)
Is black silicone supposed to flex that much? Other than that, it looks like there was too much space between the panes of glass. It should still hold water.
post #14 of 42 (permalink) Old 02-09-2014, 10:23 AM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solcielo lawrencia View Post
Is black silicone supposed to flex that much? Other than that, it looks like there was too much space between the panes of glass. It should still hold water.

IME, silicone should be solid if done right. OP just said that it leaked.
post #15 of 42 (permalink) Old 02-10-2014, 07:40 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

I got a hold of truaqua this morning. They requested to see the video I posted. The "tech" stated that some glass movement is ok and that they don't but the glass up against each other, I really hope they don't come back and say this tank is fine. So now I play the waiting game for them to get back with me. They were very helpful and understand on the phone. I bought this tank as a Vday gift for the wife. As of right now that's out the window. So I get to go shopping lol

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode