Anubias N needs to be rescued - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-07-2014, 06:33 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Anubias N needs to be rescued

I have an Anubias that has been living with my fancy goldfish in a 55 gal for a couple of years and they have literally ripped it to shreds. There's nothing left but the long stems jagged leaves and the rhizome which seems healthy and still very well rooted and attached to rock. I would like to move this plant to a new 10gal planted tank. What would be the best procedure for rescuing this heroic plant after all the hell it's been threw. Right now it looks like Charlie Browns Christmas tree. Thanks and Take Care
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-07-2014, 06:58 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

It would be better to move the goldfish but I assume you're attached to them. Since the plant is already likely to be stressed from the fish it would be best not to stress it anymore than you have to. Move the water, Anubius including its rock, and the bacteria to the new tank.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-07-2014, 07:32 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
Anubias are pretty sturdy; so long as the rhizome is healthy they can frequently come back from next to nothing. I recently trimmed up a piece to fit in a planted vase and was left with a bare stretch of rhizome about 1" long with a single tattered leaf and no root growth.

I literally just stuck it into a crook of some driftwood in my snail tank (MTS, no tech, 6-8 hrs indirect sunlight a day) and within a week it was showing new leaf and root growth.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-08-2014, 11:07 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I moved it to the 10gal planted today and the Corycats and Bristlenose ran right to it as if they were trying to nurse it back to health. I'm still not sure if I should cut all the long stems with out leafs back to the rhizome or just leave them the way they are. The rhizome is a good two inches long and the roots extend well below the rock they were reaching deep into the substrate. The plant was very healthy except for the abuse it took from the goldfish. Thanks

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-09-2014, 02:03 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Correction the rhizome is 3" and the picture is of the guilty party or at least the ring leader that brutalized this Anubias.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-09-2014, 07:09 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (24/100%)
If you have stems that have no leaves left, I would go ahead and trim them down. I usually cut them fairly close to the rhizome. The plant should be fine.

RAOK Club #24

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode