Learned my lesson the hard way... - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-19-2007, 06:26 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (3/100%)
Learned my lesson the hard way...

I bought a couple of ghost catfish last week because I'd been eyeing them for months in the store. They always looked so cool.... but after about 20 minutes they dissapeared and I hadn't seen them since.

Needless to say, I was wondering why I bothered spending $5 a fish for fish I will never see. So I decided today to hunt them down and return them and use the money towards the Bolivian Rams I just HAD to have.

Well don't you know that I had to take EVERY plant out of my perfect tank in order to find the little buggers...

Then the plants sat in a 5 gal bucket of water (from the aquarium) for a few hours this afternoon while I ran errands, got dinner, and the like before I finally had the time to put them all back in.

My tank is NOT the same.... and I miss how it used to look.

Hubby said not to worry, the plants will straighten up (they're all curled over from being in the bucket for so long) and I'll be able to move them around and make the tank look awesome again... but for right now I am SO pissed at myself. If only I had researched the catfish before buying them I would have known they weren't going to spend much time out in the open and I wouldn't have bought them.

Lesson learned: Make sure you really want a fish in your planted tank before you put it in there. GRRR

On the other hand, I am really LOVING my Bolivian Rams and the pretty purple danios I picked up today...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-19-2007, 06:41 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
Impulse shopping...youre genetically hardwired to do it...(I only say this because I'm not in swinging distance...lol) but to be fair, its just like guys are hardwired to say "hey, watch this...", and programmed to not stop and ask for directions when we're lost...lol

You'll love your new scape when you settle on one (you would be changing it sooner or later anyways...admit it )

Good luck with the scape and your new fish.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-19-2007, 06:54 AM Thread Starter

Can a mod move this thread to the Gen forum? I don't know how it ended up here... I must have had two windows open at the same time and clickd on the wrong one. ERG.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-19-2007, 12:03 PM

PTrader: (28/100%)
Yea, it usually just takes one experience like this one for someone to learn. It took me about four! I just fished out a few different apisto species so I could replace with German Rams...what a mess!!
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-19-2007, 02:36 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
If I read the posts right, you had problems catching those hiding glassfish, and had to take out all the plants?

Some older thread was talking about how to catch hard-to-catch fish.
https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/fi...2-trap-em.html

Basically came up with something like this: http://www.floridadriftwood.com/fish_trap.htm

Hope I helped.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-19-2007, 03:46 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (22/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JennysPlanties View Post
Can a mod move this thread to the Gen forum? I don't know how it ended up here... I must have had two windows open at the same time and clickd on the wrong one. ERG.
Done.

Thankfully I've dodged a few bullets like this. Turns out 1 was even a brakish water predator. So at best a dead expensive fish, at worst, only 1 fish in a 125.

Walter

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
or my
Proud former member of:

--May the floor under your tank always be dry, and your glass clear!!!
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-20-2007, 02:35 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dekstr View Post
If I read the posts right, you had problems catching those hiding glassfish, and had to take out all the plants?

Some older thread was talking about how to catch hard-to-catch fish.
https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/fi...2-trap-em.html

Basically came up with something like this: http://www.floridadriftwood.com/fish_trap.htm

Hope I helped.
Thx for that link, next time I need to catch someone I'll have to try that.

Taking out the glassfish was more of an impluse thing though... I saw two Bolivian Rams that I really wanted at the LFS and thought, "Hey, I can return those $11 pair glass catfish (Petsmart takes back any fish for any reason within 14 days for full refund) that I NEVER see and put the money towards the rams since they're on sale this weekend for 12.99 pair." LoL

So that's what I did... but in the end, I think it would've been easier just to buy the rams and leave the shy fish alone... oh well, like I said, lesson learned. MY tank looks awful and I miss how it looked before my rampage to find the "ghost" fish! (oh how they lived up to their names!)
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-20-2007, 04:14 AM

PTrader: (0/0%)
I would suggest getting a (5+)of glass cats, other than just a couple(2-3), it makes them less shy so they spend mosre tim in the open.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-20-2007, 04:39 PM

PTrader: (2/100%)
My glass cats don't hide at all. Out and about most of the time.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode