Can anyone vouch on perfecto stand quality and specs PLEASE?! - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-18-2007, 04:22 PM Thread Starter
HC 'Cuba' Guru

PTrader: (21/100%)
Can anyone vouch on perfecto stand quality and specs PLEASE?!

I need a stand for a 75cm ADA with 29.5" x 18" x 18" and so far this is the only stand that I could find that has the right measurements.

One thing I'm not so sure of with this stand is it's height, in the picture it looks very tall, and if anyone could tell me wether or not this will work, and if the stand isn't a piece of crap, that would be so helpful!! Because I have a 75P on the way but no STAND!!! And if this doesn't work, any other ideas would be appreciated SO MUCH!! I'm so lost on what to do because I really can't make a stand.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-18-2007, 05:06 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
I believe they have the same stand at the local petsmart here.

If its the same one it is fairly tall and sleek looking but the way the bottom cabinet is built it would be very limited on space. If youre planning an HOB then its not a big deal. If you have/plan a canister filter then I would definitely suggest looking into the dimensions of the stand and cabinet beforehand.

Theres another member here who put up a link for an Ikea kitchen base cabinet that could be made into a great stand with a little work. (some bracing and building a door basically) If you have an Ikea locally you may want to consider that route.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-18-2007, 05:18 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (5/100%)
Send a message via AIM to Riley Send a message via Yahoo to Riley
You could always look for a local cabinet maker to make you a stand...that way they could build it to your specs exactly. Or you could look into the DIY section.

--------------

Riley

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-18-2007, 09:56 PM Thread Starter
HC 'Cuba' Guru

How much would that cost?
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-18-2007, 10:31 PM Thread Starter
HC 'Cuba' Guru

I know I would have to cut the Ikea cabinet down to size in terms of depth, but would I have to add any support to it's structure? Or could I just use it as is?
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-19-2007, 12:30 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (5/100%)
Send a message via AIM to Riley Send a message via Yahoo to Riley
Im sure it would cost some decent bucks. If your not worried about it looking good....you could always slap together one out of 2x4s. All you need is a saw, tape, drill, square and a level....

--------------

Riley
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-19-2007, 12:50 AM Thread Starter
HC 'Cuba' Guru

What about the Ikea cabinet, would I have to reinforce it?
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-19-2007, 04:45 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
What about the Ikea cabinet, would I have to reinforce it?
I would be careful buying something and then rigging it to hold an aquarium.

Try to find what they are made of.

Stay away from particle board as will soak up water, swell up, and slowly disintegrate.

I think both of the stands in your links are made of particle board.

Go for solid wood or as last resort plywood.

Sadly in this case you will probably get what you pay for.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-20-2007, 11:08 PM Thread Starter
HC 'Cuba' Guru

Then what in gods name am I supposed to do to hold up this darn tank?!?! I can't figure it out for the life of me!, What do people who don't make their own stands or buy ADA's $900 ones! Jeez!
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-21-2007, 02:24 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (15/100%)
Send a message via AIM to Saraja87
I'd check craigslist or the recycler. Someone is always selling something for a good price. You could also take the DIY advice and build one out of 2x4s and either hang a little curtain in front or box it in as simply or decoratively as you want.

110 Tall in progress!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-21-2007, 01:18 PM
Planted Member

Quote:
Then what in gods name am I supposed to do to hold up this darn tank?!?! I can't figure it out for the life of me!, What do people who don't make their own stands or buy ADA's $900 ones! Jeez!
Do you want something that will last or something you will have to replace in a few years?

I have a 55 gallon stand made of pine that has lasted 16 years and it still looks great.

You could get a solid wood stand and canopy at the LFS for about $200 to $300.

And remember it is a hobby.

Anything hobby related is not a necessity and you will have to pay unless you become a DIYer.

My 90 gallon stand and canopy has about $150 in materials including stain and varnish.

LFS price was about $420 unfinished. Meaning I would have to sand, paint and varnish it myself.

I saved about $300 which was enoughy money to buy Flourite, driftwood, plants and a Marineland 350 canister.

I can't tell how old you are by your post or whether you are a male or female or student.

I am by no stretch of the imagination rich.

I held up my 55 gallon up with bricks for two years before I was able to buy a good stand.

Try bricks. They are about $1.00 at Homedepot and depending on your decor it could be a compliment.
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-21-2007, 05:05 PM Thread Starter
HC 'Cuba' Guru

I can buy a stand for sure, no problem there, but I seriously can't find one that fits the 30" by 18" footprint. my limit on a stand would be $300, just because I'd find it ridiculous to spend anything more than that. How tall is that perfecto calypso stand? If its any taller than 35" I wont get it, but I cant find out how tall it is anywhere. If anyone knows or could find out it's height, that would be awesome, because its the only stand that I could find that would fit the footprint. Thanks. Oh, and I'm male, 15, and have saved up a LOT of cash over the last 4 years. Thanks everyone
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-21-2007, 05:15 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (22/100%)
a 30 X 18 footprint is a very unusual size. Why not look into a 18 x 36 which would be a standard size for a 30BR,40BR,50,65 AGA aquarium.
Granted most of these are just going to support the edges, and will be 6" wider, but you should be able to put down a piece of wood to support the bottom. You will probably need to reinforce with some 2 X 4s for peace of mind.

Here is something similar that was done for a custom tank:
https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/ph...m-journal.html

HTH

Walter

and
or my
Proud former member of:

--May the floor under your tank always be dry, and your glass clear!!!
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-21-2007, 06:10 PM
Planted Member

I searched and found some pics that you probably already found.

http://www.elmersaquarium.com/h109masterkit56column.htm

It looks like they might be 35 or more inches tall.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-22-2007, 12:59 AM Thread Starter
HC 'Cuba' Guru

Well, I already ordered the 75P so I can't change that. I have a feeling that that stand is indeed too high, and if anyone could find exactly how high, that would be great. If anyone knows a good site or reference for DIY stand building, I'm open to a simple design. Me and my dad don't really have much experience in wood handy-man-ship, but my cousin who is extremely skilled in this area is coming over tomorrow for Thanksgiving so I'll make sure I talk to him about it. Some standard ADA style stand layout plans would be great so I could give him and my dad an Idea of what we need to build. Thanks. (DIY stand budget is about $160)

Chris

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode