55 Gallon Setup, Questions Lights+CO2 - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-18-2007, 05:14 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (1/100%)
55 Gallon Setup, Questions Lights+CO2

Ok I managed to find a extremely nice deal on a 55 gallon lights and all, only problem is I have a couple of questions.

I've got 4 regular fluorescent fixtures - basically two fixtures that have dual bulb connections with crazy nice reflectors built into them. Will this be decent enough for a 55? I found some 6700k bulbs at home depot in two packs for 20$. And I believe the wattage of each bulb was 32. So a total wpg of 2.3 , but I figured the depth of the 55 takes in to account and may effect the wpg rule.

Also, a simple/cheap pressurized co2 system? I was going to swing by a couple local welding shops and seeing how much a tank was but I am not sure what all I am looking for.. A tank and a regulator?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-18-2007, 06:44 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (6/100%)
Ok, how constitutes "crazy nice reflectors"? I mean, sure, they can be shiny, but still ineffective. But yeah, the wpg rule is pretty much not a good standard, but I remember hearing that it is a good measurement for 55/75.

And for a co2 setup, you're basically looking for a tank only at the local shops, and a regulator, needle valve, connections, etc somewhere that sells aquairum goods, unless you can find all the parts you need to connect the stuff and make it yourself

http://www.rexgrigg.com/index.html
Check out that site for good starting up info. He also links to his other site where he sells co2 stuff and ferts.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-18-2007, 06:46 AM Thread Starter

I've got more than enough ferts at the moment. Only thing is CO2.

Nice reflectors, as in the same ones ordered from that AHSupply, which supplies great reflectors.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-18-2007, 08:16 AM

PTrader: (3/100%)
Suggestion for finding a cheap CO2 tank: I found that in my area it was cheaper to get a CO2 tank from a beer/soda distributor than a welding supply co. Re-fills are cheaper there too. Call your local bar/tavern and ask who services their soda guns and taps, then call them up. I paid $50 less doing it that way for my tank. My 20# tank was $125 (already filled), and will probably last me a year, or so I've heard. (The 10# was $100 and the 5# $75.)

As for a regulator and the rest of the "gear" you need, you can look at Rex's site for his products, which are great quality from what I understand.

I didn't want to spend that much, so I went for a commercially produced setup and bought the Red Sea CO2 Pro system from Big Al's. It was $189 with a solenoid. (solenoid is used if you want to automate your CO2 system instead of manually turning it on in the morning and off at night - I'm lazy and thought it was worth the extra $50) I've been very happy with my setup so far, and it came with everything you need to run CO2 except the tank. Also very easy to set up, and I am not a technical person at ALL. It even has a drop checker included with it, however you will need to purchase (BlackSunshine on this forum sells it) or make your own 4dKh solution to put in it, the solution that comes with it is just bromethymol blue and is not an accurate indicator of your CO2 levels.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-18-2007, 09:32 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)
I'm not really sure you got an amazing deal, Jenny. Rex's regulator with solenoid is only like $140. Even if you add a needle valve and bubble counter, I think it would still be cheaper than a Red Sea. Then again, I bought a Rex regulator second hand for 125 with bubble counter.

Eheim Pimp #254, Eheim Wolverine #1

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Work in progress
10 Gallon Shrimp Tank
10 Gallon Planted QT
20 Gallon Shrimp Tank (Work in progress)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-18-2007, 09:49 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gundy View Post
I've got more than enough ferts at the moment. Only thing is CO2.

Nice reflectors, as in the same ones ordered from that AHSupply, which supplies great reflectors.
Well, i was not only referring to his ferts, i mentioned co2 too, just saying it incase you wanted -_-

And yeah, ahsupply has great reflectors.

And yes, the $140 (w/ solenoid) regulator comes with everything you need except for the tank. You could also add on a bubble counter for another $17.

And also, does anyone know where blacksunshines post on the 4dkh water is? I might buy it soon. Thanks
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-18-2007, 09:38 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)
Drs Foster and Smith has a decent low cost CO2 setup. I'm running it now and its working just fine. Has everything except for the CO2 tank.
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...35&pcatid=9935

As far as the CO2 tank, Beveragefactory.com has some good prices.
http://www.beveragefactory.com/draft...anks/co2.shtml

Just make sure you can find a place locally that will fill it. Some places like to swap tanks and you wouldn't want to turn in your shiny new tank for a old rusty one.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-19-2007, 12:16 AM Thread Starter

SO basically around 300$ for a complete setup it seems. Not to bad, would my lighting be adequate enough if I went this route?
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-19-2007, 02:50 AM Thread Starter

Why do you NEED a solenoid valve? I guess, why would you need to shut the CO2 off at nights?

And when I call some local places, do I just mention purchasing a 20# CO2 tank plus regulator? Anything else? I don't really want to mention I have no idea what I'm talking about considering half the time people take advantage of you when mentioning that..
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-19-2007, 03:00 AM
Banned

PTrader: (0/0%)
so that your fish dont die of o2 defficiancy during the night when ur plants dont eat the co2
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-19-2007, 03:10 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Uh, who are you gonna call? If you asks for a regulator, they won't sell you everything you need at welding supplies or beverage supplies.

Just mention the tank I guess, unless you wanna build your own regulator.
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-19-2007, 03:16 AM Thread Starter

Was going to call Linweld, and a couple of other welding places.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-19-2007, 03:26 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (63/100%)
Send a message via MSN to PRESTON4479
Quote:
SO basically around 300$ for a complete setup it seems. Not to bad, would my lighting be adequate enough if I went this route?

I haven't had a problem growing anything so far in my 55g with 2.3 wpg and co2.
http://www.bestaquariumregulator.com/co2.html

http://cgi.ebay.com/Red-Sea-CO2-Pro-...QQcmdZViewItem

Brian

Brian

Equipment: 55g, 3x 9watt tt uv, 2-xp3's, pressurized co2, inline co2 reactor, 216 watt catalina t5 fixture, milwaukee ph controller, 300 watt hydor inline heater, aqua soil
Filstar Pimp #100
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-19-2007, 03:34 AM Thread Starter

Good to hear. I had planned on using a glass diffuser, and depending on how well it worked - I might put a powerhead directly above it to blast bubbles across the tank.

Similar to how i have my 20l setup with a limewood and powerhead.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-19-2007, 03:38 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (63/100%)
Send a message via MSN to PRESTON4479
Quote:
Good to hear. I had planned on using a glass diffuser, and depending on how well it worked - I might put a powerhead directly above it to blast bubbles across the tank.

Similar to how i have my 20l setup with a limewood and powerhead.
Glass diffusers work well. I was using one before I decided cut back on things inside of the tank.

Brian

Equipment: 55g, 3x 9watt tt uv, 2-xp3's, pressurized co2, inline co2 reactor, 216 watt catalina t5 fixture, milwaukee ph controller, 300 watt hydor inline heater, aqua soil
Filstar Pimp #100

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode