Need some controller and cover advice please - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-07-2014, 03:33 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Need some controller and cover advice please

I'm setting up this 125 gal FW (first tank ever) and I'm bouncing around the idea of an Apex Jr. controller and what all equipment I want to put together with it. This is what I'm envisioning... A Neptune Apex Jr. controlling a main light module (a BMLED 6300K high intensity), a moonlight, a heater, 2 canister filters (into 1 outlet), and auto feeder. Everything would be plugged into the main control unit except the feeder which can just be plugged into a regular non-controlled outlet (I think anyway). From what I can tell controller acts on the feeder through a signal cord rather than the power cord.

Because this is my first tank I'm wondering if I've left anything out of my controller/equipment plan. Like is there another aquarium function I haven't thought of automating that I need to consider? Being my current plan uses up all 4 controlled outlets on the Apex Jr., if there is something I haven't thought of yet I might need to get an additional outlet unit when I make the order for it.

Also, my tank is a braced Aqueon with the 3 openings in the top.. I'm about to order the glass hinged tops I'll need for covers and to my surprise these things are gonna cost like right at $150. The covers are nice with the rear section being plastic so you can make cutouts for equipment, and the front portion being hinged for easy tank access. But surely there's got to be a cheaper quality option out there. Surely someone else makes something like this that aren't $50 apiece.

Thanks, I'm all ears.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-08-2014, 06:53 AM
Algae Grower

I got the versa top glass lids from amazon for my 125 for about $50 check there or Dr foster and smith (about the same price)

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-08-2014, 06:55 AM
Algae Grower

One set or package for $50 has the three panels you need - its not $50 per section

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-08-2014, 03:07 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (37/100%)
What are your measurements for the openings? I bough Lexan polycarbonate sheets from Home depo for the 55, 10, and 3 gallon. My husband used a circular saw with high tooth count (can use other saw types) to cut the pieces to size and make cuts to let plumbing and cords into the tanks. Its had no ill effect on light for the plants, and non of my fish have had a need to try to dive through the openings and onto the floor. The hoods do collect condensation/fog a little but its because the water line is close and the temp difference between the room and water. I will say since there's not as much of a gap between water and hood, there's not alot air flow so floaters like forgbit and duckweed don't like my tanks.
I found the Lexan sheets to be much cheaper than glass covers for the sizes I needed.

Due to photobuckets new bs cost for use of images on forums I have deleted all photobucket accounts. I apologize if you enjoyed or found my photos helpful.
Starting to update these threads

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~
~
~

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode