So.......goldfish? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-07-2014, 12:54 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
So.......goldfish?

Seems there isn't much discussion around here on goldfish - probably because of their notoriety when it comes to their hunger and our precious plants. It seems that the little I hear of these buggers is pretty nice in regards to how they treat plants.

I have a shubunkin that I got 8 months ago for my 20g container pond and had to bring him inside for winter (only in a 10 gallon now, holding out til spring). He seems fine with most plants. Cardinal plant untouched, moss looks untouched, but hasn't grown much (I think he grazes), no damage to horn wort. He does love floaters - duck weed is a treat, and he chews on hyacinth leaves.

I want to know how you all feel about them? Too bulky, to hungry? This little fella has grown on me in the past few months.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-07-2014, 01:19 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Both of my fancy's used love uprooting plants and causing havoc; until I changed there diet to primarily Hikari Lionhead pellets; they are so addicted to it they have little interest in the plants unless I start fasting them. I use an eheim feeder with it and since they dont associate me with food anymore they stopped being such lil beggars.

I am now preparing to medium-heavy plant my tank with them now that I am not worried the'll mow all greenery down or yank it up... Eventually I want to put em in a pond out back and a barren tank in basement through winter so I can do a more traditional planted tank in my dining room.

I should note mine are pretty small still

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

5 Gal Tropic Nano w/SunSun 603b,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-07-2014, 01:33 AM
Planted Member

i only have them in my outdoor pond, but I have them instead of koi because goldfish don't eat my pond plants. They leave my lilies, iris, etc. alone. But they do a great job on the hair algae.

2 2.5s, 3 10s, 2 20s, 1 29. Low light, low tech. Ponds

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-07-2014, 02:00 AM
Algae Grower

Here is a blog post someone I read a while ago when I was looking for information on the same topic myself a while ago. It looks like it can work!
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-08-2014, 03:54 PM
Algae Grower

I had two big "run-o-the-mill" goldish (untill I unfortunately gassed them) about 5" long in a tank for a long time, along with java fern, annubias, jungle val, and elodia.

It was dense and the tank was fairly small, but they didn't harm the plants much at all. They would munch occasionally on the elodia, but it grew so fast it didn't matter.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-08-2014, 04:09 PM
Algae Grower

I have goldfish in a container pond during spring, summer, and part of fall.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-08-2014, 04:14 PM
Algae Grower

If i was an ALIEN from another planet, coming down to earth for the first time, and looking into an aquarium store.... the goldifsh would be ones that really drew my attention first: All those other little fish pale in comparison to their bright orange colors and their robustness.

I don't know why they have such a bad rap... especially considering how cheap (or even free) they are.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-08-2014, 04:39 PM
Planted Member

I don't know why they have such a bad rap either, unless it's that they get too big in most aquariums and they like to root around.
In recent years I've only kept the fry in aquariums and only did that once. Goldfish really are at their best outside where their colors deepen from gold to deep orange red. I only keep comet shaped goldfish, but the deep blues with black freckles, deep orange reds and white are striking.
Being outside all year round, my goldfish breed in the spring. A few fry manage to escape and some of them have turned into gorgeous shubunkins. Most are just black that later turn orange.
I've met ponders who keep koi and turn their noses up at goldfish, but I think the shape and smaller size of goldfish is prettier. Plus, I like that goldfish don't destroy the plants in my water garden!

Last edited by twentypoundtabby; 02-08-2014 at 04:59 PM. Reason: adding images
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-08-2014, 05:10 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Honestly, i just find goldfish to be kind of mindless and not interesting. They look pretty depending on your taste, but i find a tank with cory cats, angels, apistos, SAE's, BN, and a school of tetras to just be a lot more interesting. I guess my issue is goldfish kind of swim in circles without any purpose or real interaction, whereas a dwarf cichlid or something of that nature is playing a constant game of hid and seek, defending territory, foraging, etc. I don't mean to bash anyone who has goldfish, i just can't get into it for some reason.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-08-2014, 05:37 PM
Planted Member

They do more when they are outside and can hunt for bugs, tear at algae, and chase the females in a spring mating frenzy. They'll even wiggle up onto a dry water lily to get a piece of food or jump out of the water to catch a bug.

2 2.5s, 3 10s, 2 20s, 1 29. Low light, low tech. Ponds
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-08-2014, 05:44 PM
Algae Grower

I find goldfish to be very interactive. My big one always tries to splash me to get my attention and bring about feeding time sooner. They also like to hand feed (but only from me) and follow me around. I find they do better in low tech setups because a lot of those low tech plants are too tough to chew or grow fast enough.

Sent from my XT1049 using Tapatalk
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-08-2014, 06:56 PM
Planted Tank Guru

They grow so fast, that even in my larger tanks I can only keep them indoors for a few months. Then they go out to the pond. I have not kept them for a while. No matter how well I fence it, raccoons seem to find a way into the pond.

I like the bright colors, especially the shubukin types, and the long fins.
Yes, other species are more interesting in certain behaviors, but Golds are pretty good, too.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode