Excess CO2 or iron causing brown leaves? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-06-2014, 10:59 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Excess CO2 or iron causing brown leaves?

I recently added DIY CO2 to my 75 gallon aquarium, and at the same time, I also added extra iron (seachem) and seachem substrate tabs. Because of the increased CO2, I also increased the photoperiod. Quite rapidly, some of the plant species started showing brown leaves (including dying brown parts around leaf edge), especially Crypt lutea. My downoi has a bronze/dark color to many leaves now. Could this be caused by too much light (9 hours), or overfertilization or too much CO2? Previously, I had just been dosing with flourish comprehensive and trace. CO2 levels seem to be at least 30 ppm based on ph and Kh measurements. pH went from 7.6 to 6.8 after adding the DIY CO2.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-07-2014, 01:42 AM

PTrader: (3/100%)
It is difficult to make any conclusive statements about your aquarium.

A single 2L bottle of DIY CO2 in a 75 gallon aquarium will not generate enough CO2 to give you 30 ppm.

You did not say how intense your lighting is.

Cryptocoryne species tend to melt rather easily, especially with changes in water parameters.

The Downoi could be turning bronze due to light intensity, not light duration. I doubt you are over fertilizing or over injecting CO2, given that you are only dosing Flourish Comprehensive and Trace, and using DIY CO2.

Anthony

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
Victor Pimp #33 - HPT272-125-350-4M
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-07-2014, 02:02 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
I am using 2 3L bottles, which is why the higher CO2 level. The lighting is a single marineland planted LED light, which is rated at 172 PAR at 12 inches, although I haven't found info on anyone measuring actual values and in a deeper tank.

I have had crypt leaves melt before, but these just look as if they are burning. I did add the flourish root tabs right beneath the crypts also.
Thanks,
Trond

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-07-2014, 03:00 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
At 24" the PAR is about 83 PAR, reference. I don't think that level will cause burning in healthy plants. You will never get CO2 high enough to cause toxicity issues for the plants. However, improper dosing without water changes can lead to toxic levels, especially traces.

Flourish comprehensive is basically a trace mix. Even the flourish root tabs have little macros. Do you know your nitrate and phosphate levels? I would suspect with high light and CO2 you have macro limitation. It's possible that you have excess trace levels as well.

I would re think your nutrient management. How much Flourish comp, iron and root tabs have you added?

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode