Changing Filter Floss? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-05-2014, 04:31 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
Changing Filter Floss?

I have a BioCube 29 HQI and instead of using a filter pad, I put filter floss in that area. The filter floss is dense and it gets clogged with debris easily (like detritus and stuff, not large debris) which causes the chamber with the filter and heater to have a lower water level than it should.

Would it disrupt the balance of the universe if I changed this filter floss out for a fluffier/lighter kind that won't clog as much? I'm worried about a bacterial imbalance or something.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-05-2014, 05:37 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (23/100%)
If you have other media in there that is holding bacteria, then it shouldn't be a problem. I use my filter floss for debris catching, and remove/replace monthly.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-05-2014, 05:44 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)
I use floss as the sole media in all my HOB filters, but I cut it into two squares - I replace them one at a time, so that there's never a point where a majority of the bacteria are removed.

If you have other media in your filters, it should be fine to swap the floss.

SunSun Pimp #86

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-05-2014, 06:03 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
Yep, I sandwich a layer of loose floss inbetween sponge pads in my HOB and intank filters and change out the floss roughly every other water change. No doubt there's a reduction in bacteria levels, but I suspect it's offset by the substrate vac and water change.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-05-2014, 09:28 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I have a sand bed, driftwood and plants. I also have bio balls in the filtration compartments... Is that sufficient?
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-05-2014, 10:25 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuppyGuppyGuppyGuppyGuppy View Post
Is that sufficient?
As long as you dont have ammonia/nitrite spikes and can do maintenance (ie, replacing floss) without having a mini-cycle its adequate, otherwise you should increase your filtration abilities...

the only way to know is test your water parameters regularly until the tank is fully established and stable. Its very subjective; but everyone agrees too much filtration is never a bad thing.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

5 Gal Tropic Nano w/SunSun 603b,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-05-2014, 10:47 PM
Oxl
Planted Member

Can you put a Hagen Fluval Edge Pre-Filter Sponge over the intake? I always use those or even larger sponges which adds another later of filtration, easy to wring out to clean, and greatly reduces the frequency of filter cleanings/floss replacement.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-06-2014, 12:22 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxl View Post
Can you put a Hagen Fluval Edge Pre-Filter Sponge over the intake? I always use those or even larger sponges which adds another later of filtration, easy to wring out to clean, and greatly reduces the frequency of filter cleanings/floss replacement.
There's actually a place for a sponge filter in the third filtration chamber... And I have a sponge filter.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-06-2014, 01:39 AM
Algae Grower

I use poly-fil from the craft department at walmart. I like to buy the 5 pound box for around $13 since I change it pretty often and I use a lot of it with 4 canister filters.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode