seachem Flourish Excel Overdose - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-05-2014, 01:52 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
seachem Flourish Excel Overdose

On Sunday 2/2/14 I realized I overdosed my Tank with Seachem's Flourish Excel in my 125 gallon, planted tank. During my adventure I figured I would take some notes in order to educate anyone in the future who has the misfortune of this event.

-In no way do I want to bash of slander Seachem or their products. I am very happy with their products and if I fallowed directions and was more careful I would not be in this situation.-

How did I OD my tank:
I hooked a Tom Aqua Lifter AW-20 Vacuum Pump on a digital timer. I had one end of the pump in a bottle of Seachem Flourish Excel and the outlet in my 125. The timer was set to run for six minutes, with the amount of head and the length of hose turned out to deliver est. 10 ml of liquid to the tank. I worked out this equation over a course of a week. When I was ready to set the timer to come on 45 minutes after my HO lights and dose the 10 ml for six minutes daily I changed the timer but I set the timer to run for twelve hours and six minutes. Needless to say the bottle emptied and the pump continued to run until I turned it off.
My best guess of the amount of liquid dumped in my 125 was anywhere from 10ml to 300ml.

Effects on the fish observed during Excel OD:
*dead fish
*patches of scales that were pale(ammonia burn),
*eyes cloudy,
*fins were clamped,
*fins were tethered,
*chaotic swimming,
*lethargic
Effects on the tank observed during Excel OD:
*film on water surface,
*cloudiness,
*adverse effects on biological filtration(destroys BB),
*algae blooms(multiple colors),
*plant melting

Recommended steps to fix the issue:
*At least 75% water change within the first 12 hours,
*continued large w/c for the next 24 hours(replace it as fast as you can condition it),
*limit the amount of light,
*add activated carbon to the filtration,
*be aware of Chlorine and Chloramines,
*have a good amount of beneficial bacteria on hand,
*treat tank with antibacterial remedy to heal open wounds & abrasions and something to promote regrowth of damaged fin rays & tissue. I recommend Melafix 5%.

These steps have not been proven as of yet. I have lost a total of six fish, and the plants are TBA. I wanted to get this information out there dealing with a large excel OD. When I did my searches all I found was BBA treatment, and OD in a couple ml cases.

Here are some links:
http://www.oscarfish.com/article-hom...hem-excel.html

http://www.seachem.com/Products/prod...rishExcel.html

http://www.seachem.com/support/FAQs/FlourishExcel.html

http://www.seachem.com/support/MSDS/...hExcel.doc.pdf
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-05-2014, 02:17 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Man, sorry to hear about your misfortune and thanks for sharing another possible pitfall of the hobby.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-05-2014, 02:33 PM
Algae Grower

Man it sucks when we make the mistakes that kill our fish.It seems like everytime I have a big mishap its my fault due to human error.Sorry to hear about your fish,but it happens and we learn from it.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-05-2014, 02:53 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (15/100%)
sorry, that sucks.

I'm not sure melafix at this point would be helpful, after all Excel is a very good antibacterial, adding more would probably mess with any attempts at re-establishing good bacteria. Adding salt to reduce stress might help...

then again crossing your fingers might be just as effective

20L My Other Tank: OEBT Shrimp
40B Inlaws Tank: 2 goldfish
75 Main Tank w/ sump: 5 Glossolepis pseudoincisus, 5 Melanotaenia boesemani, 10 Melanotaenia praecox, 5 Melanotaenia lacustris, some cories, a bn pleco and rainbow fish fry
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-05-2014, 03:17 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by dprais1 View Post
sorry, that sucks.

I'm not sure melafix at this point would be helpful, after all Excel is a very good antibacterial, adding more would probably mess with any attempts at re-establishing good bacteria. Adding salt to reduce stress might help...

then again crossing your fingers might be just as effective
I currently have the melafix in the QT tank and adding a lite dose to the main tank. I think the salt would stress the fish out more then anything else. That and crossing my fingers.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-05-2014, 04:00 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (150/100%)
Sorry to hear about your losses. Freak accidents sucks.. It's a bummer.

Thanks for letting us know that OD excel way too much, is not a good idea.

20 gallon - Sulawesi Golden rabbit snails/Japanese Trapdoor snails/RCS/Marbled crayfish tank
55 gallon - Rainbowfish Dutch scape low-tech planted tank

250 gallon - Community Tiger Oscar/Red hook silver dollar/Silver dollars/PB Jack Dempsey/Clown loaches/Tinfoil barb/Roseline sharks/Bala shark Monster fish tank
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-05-2014, 08:24 PM
Algae Grower

Thank you for posting your experience. I dose excel daily but never know whether the plants are utilizing enough of it for it to not build up in the tank over time and i'm getting paranoid. This helps knowing what symptoms to look out for.

Also, I thought excel overdoses killed algae, so the algae outbreak is interesting.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-05-2014, 10:34 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (15/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquatik View Post
Thank you for posting your experience. I dose excel daily but never know whether the plants are utilizing enough of it for it to not build up in the tank over time and i'm getting paranoid. This helps knowing what symptoms to look out for.

Also, I thought excel overdoses killed algae, so the algae outbreak is interesting.
I believe excel has a 10-12 hour half-life, so in 24 hours it will all be gone. so it does not build up.

probably not a outbreak, probably existing algae dying and hence the different colors he mentioned

20L My Other Tank: OEBT Shrimp
40B Inlaws Tank: 2 goldfish
75 Main Tank w/ sump: 5 Glossolepis pseudoincisus, 5 Melanotaenia boesemani, 10 Melanotaenia praecox, 5 Melanotaenia lacustris, some cories, a bn pleco and rainbow fish fry

Tags
excel, overdose, seachem

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode