How to prevent this? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 70 (permalink) Old 02-05-2014, 04:21 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)
How to prevent this?

I'd like to know how to prevent this, in other words what fert am I missing to get rid of this or what is it caused by so I can work on getting rid of it.

I dose dry ferts low tech style MO day macro Tuesday micro Sunday water change.

All input is helpful

I have this in both of my tanks. They both have finnex planted plus fixtures and follow the same schedule for dosing. Thanks

Sent from my LG-E980 using Tapatalk

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 70 (permalink) Old 02-05-2014, 04:34 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)
Please, more info such as tank size, lights (power and time), co2, PH before and after PH drop, if you are not using Co2 do you use Excel? How much? How often water change?

Thanks!
post #3 of 70 (permalink) Old 02-05-2014, 07:25 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Get some otocinclus they will clean that right up for you. Usually you will get brown algae in high light low flow areas or in a newly setup tank(first couple months)

post #4 of 70 (permalink) Old 02-05-2014, 09:36 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

20 gallon tank
I have tested in a week been letting the tank do its thing and letting the algae run its course
I dose generic excel 20 ml in my 20 gallon and 10ml in my 10 gallon everyday.
Dirted tank with eco complete cap.
I water change every Sunday. For. Sunday to Sunday this stuff comes right back even after scraping walls.
I just started dosing dry ferts from Greenleaf aquariums macros Monday 1/8 tsp of everything and micros Tuesday 1/8 of everything. I divide the in half for the 10 gallon and dose the same way on the same schedule.

From substrate to light in the 20 gallon it's about 14" and from substrate to light in my 10 gallon it's about 9" lights are on a timer to be on from 8:15 to 12:15 off until 5:15 then on again until 9:15 totaling 8hrs with the break in between.

post #5 of 70 (permalink) Old 02-05-2014, 09:37 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I already have two sae in the tank

post #6 of 70 (permalink) Old 02-05-2014, 11:14 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
finnex planted+ leds are pretty strong for a 20G at 14 inches.. that's right on the top without hanging right? I assume also that you have a 24" on the 20G? You're sort of in the high tech range of light and feeding it at low tech amounts. Do you do co2?

Suspect more light than necessary if you're trying to achieve low tech.
post #7 of 70 (permalink) Old 02-05-2014, 12:43 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I dose generic excel daily 20 ml or 4 capful

post #8 of 70 (permalink) Old 02-05-2014, 02:03 PM
Wannabe Guru

Oh yes, how did I miss that you wrote about excel already. Sorry about that. After rereading, it sounds like you just started dosing ferts? Perhaps give your plants some time to catch up to your fertilizing regimen?

Remember, the proper "balance" for avoiding algae is having enough fertilizer and co2 to match up with the lighting. Darkblade's Primer to planted tanks. Even though you're using excel, it isn't as effective as plain co2. So if you're short on fertilizer and co2, and you have too much light, you're asking for the algae.

Things you could probably try with aims of reducing light and/or bringing your other factors into balance..

suspend the light higher so there's more distance between light and substrate.

cut off or cut down one of the lighting periods -- especially the night one. if you have ambient light around the house or sunlight coming into the room, don't underestimate the ability of that to grow your algae despite your shutting off the lights. I used to turn on my lights later in the day so that I can see my tank later into the night, but in a decently sunlight flooded room, there was plenty light to grow algae it seems. So, while the plants weren't growing during lights off, the algae was growing double time.

wait a week and see if it does better now that you're adding ferts. actually, you have a dirted tank. how new is this tank? Some will argue that newly dirted tanks don't really need the extra fertilizers -- especially if your plants are root feeders. It "seems" that your plants are growing decently and presence of algae on the glass in addition to the plants would point to more than just a plant deficiency.

So, this may also point to the final cog.. a co2 shortage for the amount of light
If you're adamant at staying low tech, then try your hand at diy co2 with yeast and sugar instead of excel or even in addition to the excel.

Hang in there!
post #9 of 70 (permalink) Old 02-05-2014, 04:01 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipkiss View Post
Oh yes, how did I miss that you wrote about excel already. Sorry about that. After rereading, it sounds like you just started dosing ferts? Perhaps give your plants some time to catch up to your fertilizing regimen?

Remember, the proper "balance" for avoiding algae is having enough fertilizer and co2 to match up with the lighting. Darkblade's Primer to planted tanks. Even though you're using excel, it isn't as effective as plain co2. So if you're short on fertilizer and co2, and you have too much light, you're asking for the algae.

Things you could probably try with aims of reducing light and/or bringing your other factors into balance..

suspend the light higher so there's more distance between light and substrate.

cut off or cut down one of the lighting periods -- especially the night one. if you have ambient light around the house or sunlight coming into the room, don't underestimate the ability of that to grow your algae despite your shutting off the lights. I used to turn on my lights later in the day so that I can see my tank later into the night, but in a decently sunlight flooded room, there was plenty light to grow algae it seems. So, while the plants weren't growing during lights off, the algae was growing double time.

wait a week and see if it does better now that you're adding ferts. actually, you have a dirted tank. how new is this tank? Some will argue that newly dirted tanks don't really need the extra fertilizers -- especially if your plants are root feeders. It "seems" that your plants are growing decently and presence of algae on the glass in addition to the plants would point to more than just a plant deficiency.

So, this may also point to the final cog.. a co2 shortage for the amount of light
If you're adamant at staying low tech, then try your hand at diy co2 with yeast and sugar instead of excel or even in addition to the excel.

Hang in there!
Took all the words out of my mouth. It is a slow and steady battle but you will be able to come out victorious.

post #10 of 70 (permalink) Old 02-05-2014, 04:54 PM
Banned

Way too much light for no co2 IMO. In my 20 long I have a double thick fiberglass gray screen under my 24" planted plus to get the PAR down to the between 20 to 25 range. also have a glass top.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

Last edited by jrill; 02-06-2014 at 04:49 PM. Reason: should have said double not triple
post #11 of 70 (permalink) Old 02-05-2014, 04:57 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
I think that one is cladophora. First thing to do is physically remove as much as you can.
post #12 of 70 (permalink) Old 02-05-2014, 05:00 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
Just because of curiosity what is generic Excel ?
Raise the lights about 6" to start and reduce the light period to 7 hrs total.
If you have a glass top on them you can add a piece of screen wire between the bulbs and the tank top. Two may be necessary. Or you can add floating plants. Any of these cuts the light. Silvanis is a good controlable plant to use for this.

The shortest distance between any two points is a straight line...in the opposite direction...
post #13 of 70 (permalink) Old 02-05-2014, 06:35 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond S. View Post
Just because of curiosity what is generic Excel ?
Gluteraldehyde, Metricide being one name brand. Used for cold sterilization.
post #14 of 70 (permalink) Old 02-05-2014, 09:16 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrill View Post
Way too much light for no co2 IMO. In my 20 long I have a triple thick fiberglass gray screen under my 24" planted plus to get the PAR down to the between 20 to 25 range.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk
How did you get it to stay under the light

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

post #15 of 70 (permalink) Old 02-05-2014, 09:18 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I am interested in how to do the window screen trick, is there a tutorial i can follow?

Also, I ordered some acrylic leg raisers (4" high) from TPT member Fuze he had a for sale thread a while back for these and i asked him for some.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode