Moving to Dallas. Need guidance. - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-14-2007, 02:53 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
Moving to Dallas. Need guidance.

I have several large aquariums and I'm trying to decide if I should just sell them and buy new when I get there. I'm not planning on taking any fish or plants with me anyway.

I have a 90 and a 75 gallon on a custom stand I made and painted.

I have a 75 Gallon with wood canopy. I have a 40 gallon Hex, and a bunch of smaller tanks.

I've read that leaking is a common problem after moving larger tanks. Should I just sell them before I go or take the chance on moving them?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-14-2007, 02:56 AM

PTrader: (0/0%)
If You have old sheets and quilts and wrap them up well It shouldnt be to big of a problem.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-14-2007, 06:43 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (20/100%)
I filled mine with towels and beding then wrapped then.
I love the DFW plant club. I visit then when I visit my sister. If you have never lived in DFW area there coupon entertainment book helps visit great spots.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-14-2007, 03:12 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

So you guys think these tanks are worth taking? I don't have to worry about leaking?
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-14-2007, 04:25 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (120/100%)
I have moved my 120gal tank twice now and have no problems with leaking (it was only 10 miles or so though). As long as you pack it carefully I don't see it being an issue. You can fill it up with water when you get to dallas and leave it outside for a few days to make sure its not leaking.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-14-2007, 04:30 PM
Planted Member

I have moved a 75 and 90 on a pickup bed and no leaks.

You can always get a new tank but when you build yourself a nice stand and canopy it is irreplaceable.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-14-2007, 07:52 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
Send a message via AIM to RoseHawke Send a message via MSN to RoseHawke
Personally, and these are just my thoughts on the matter never having done it, I would keep the stands and hoods and sell the tanks. You wouldn't get anything to speak of for them, but then you wouldn't have that worry. But that's just me. The stress isn't worth it .

Sláinte!
Cindy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
— 2wpg CF lighting; pressurized CO2; 18 watt Turbo-twist UVS; Eheim Pro II 2028; eco-complete; 2 Pearl Gouramis; 7 Harlequin Rasboras; 3 Otocinclus catfish

— lo-tech; 1.8 wpg DIY CF light; no CO2; Aquaclear mini; Schultz substrate; java fern; java moss; 7 Neon Tetras; 1 flame dwarf gourami
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-14-2007, 09:02 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (278/99%)
how are you planning on getting them there. yourself, a moving company...ect.

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-14-2007, 11:43 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I'm thinking of using the Pods service. You rent this portable storage thing and they move it for you.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-15-2007, 12:01 AM
Wannabe Guru

Nobody said "don't"?

My large moves were done by moving companies (since the company paid for them) and they built crates out of 2x4s for the tanks and they were padded just with paper. I think for Pods, that would be excessive since you load them yourself and all that does is protect them from being crushed. On the other hand, you have too many tanks to sit on your couch. A good website for how to pack things (and how to move in general) is the unfortunately named http://movingscam.com/ .

You might want to lose most of them, and only keep the ones that will be hard to replace. They just take up so much space and there's not much you can put inside them and you can't really stack them. Do keep stands and canopies, though.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-15-2007, 12:07 AM

PTrader: (8/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Sensei View Post
So you guys think these tanks are worth taking? I don't have to worry about leaking?
If that were true, then nobody would ever buy used tanks, since they will always be moved around. I think the problems you may have heard is when you move tanks not completely empty, that still contain the substrate and some water. When moving not empty tanks, the extra weight and the water moving around will stress the glass and could cause it to leak/break in the future. But as long as you empty the tanks, there will be no problems of any leaking.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode