saltwater peeps - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-05-2014, 12:33 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (11/100%)
saltwater peeps

im in the process of cycling my 29g sw tank for a month a half now I still keep getting the same readings nitrite and nitrates are through the roof amonia is at .25 I test every week and its reading the same for 3 weeks now. im running a gutted aquaclear 30 with seagel with livesand and baserock. I started with ghost feeding, then threw in a chunk of tilapia, amonia still hasnt moved. Should I start with amonia next?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-05-2014, 02:40 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)
Do you still have the ammonia source in the tank? I have used shrimp in the past but only left it in the tank long enough to create the spike. I would think if nitrates were off the charts the other readings should be more in line.

Just be patient SW cycles can be frustrating. I have cycled tanks in 1 week and waited more than 8 weeks on others.

Last edited by xjclassic; 02-05-2014 at 02:41 AM. Reason: after thought
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-05-2014, 02:50 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

yea the tilapia is still in there

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-05-2014, 03:03 AM
Planted Member

I would remove it. Most likely it is just producing ammonia faster than the bacteria that have started can consume it. Continue to test ammonia and as that reaches zero nitrites will soon follow. Depending on the nitrate level after the cycle you may want to do a water change to bring them down right before you add your first fish. And when I say fish I mean one fish. Dont add multiple fish to a newly established tank.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-05-2014, 03:22 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

ok if anything I might try:adding biospira if nothing changes at the end of:the week
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-05-2014, 03:53 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (5/100%)
You have a piece of rotten flesh in there that's constantly putting out ammonia. That's why your Ammonia is not going down and nitrite and nitrate is through the roof. Your system can't process it.

Remove all of your ammonia source and stop ghost feeding. Let the Ammonia and Nitrite come down to zero and do a large water change to bring the nitrate down to under 40ppm for fish and 20ppm for coral.

It will take a lot longer for your Nitrate bacteria to catch up (they live deep down in your sandbed where there are little oxygen) so keep up the water change until your system stabilizes.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Fraternity of Dirt member #140
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-05-2014, 05:34 AM
Wannabe Guru

a hand full of macro algae could help keep the parameters in check
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-05-2014, 11:37 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Du3ce,

take the fish out, you didn't need to do that. You could have cycled your tank without doing that in less time. You could have use sand from a established tank, some Mollies that love to eat and can live in saltwater. There's additives like Bio-Pronto from Two little fishes and Cycle from Nutrafin, that will help speed up the cycle. See if you can get either one of those.

In the meantime, take the fish out, do a water change and learn to be a little more patient. You'll lose less money by being patient.

Rev.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-05-2014, 01:24 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (58/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevClyburn View Post
In the meantime, take the fish out, do a water change and learn to be a little more patient. You'll lose less money by being patient.

Rev.
This is the best advice you can give someone starting a tank whether it be freshwater or a reef. Patience is key to being successful in this hobby and like Rev said it will save you not only a headache but money.

All matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death life is only a dream which is an imagination of ourselves. Bill Hicks
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-05-2014, 02:50 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

I did not put any fish in im not that mean, I have stopped ghost feeding ever since I threw that piece of fish in a week ago.
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-05-2014, 04:17 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

test my water again this morning amonia at 0 nitrite 5.0 nitrate dropped down to 20
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-05-2014, 04:45 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
I'll bet you'll see a rapid fall in nitrites and no ammonia. Now that you have removed the NH4 source bacteria will be able to process what's there quickly.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-05-2014, 05:04 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

hope so ill test it again at the end of the week
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-05-2014, 05:17 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by du3ce View Post
im in the process of cycling my 29g sw tank for a month a half now I still keep getting the same readings nitrite and nitrates are through the roof amonia is at .25 I test every week and its reading the same for 3 weeks now. im running a gutted aquaclear 30 with seagel with livesand and baserock. I started with ghost feeding, then threw in a chunk of tilapia, amonia still hasnt moved. Should I start with amonia next?
Best SW forum to exist ever: http://www.nano-reef.com/
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-08-2014, 08:46 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

just tested my tank again today everything is still the same

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode