PH on the Rise - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 1 (permalink) Old 02-04-2014, 07:45 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (4/100%)
PH on the Rise

Hello,

A couple of weeks ago I noticed that my aging barrel with tap water has gone through some kind of change. My tap water PH out of the tap is 7.6. After aging, it went up to 8.6 range. Sure I could blame the community well and the winter blend, but not sure if that is the case here.

I noticed my discus were acting funny but could not figure out why considering all water parameters have been stable for a long time. I have used 2 different test kits and a PH meter and acquired the same results. It is a little baffling to me because I considered myself pretty darn good at water quality.

Now, my barrel is a Brute 44 gal. I clean it often (just water) whether it needs it or not. I usually clean it once a month. I have water circulation, aeration and heater. I have even commented on other threads that PH after aging normally, will go down instead of up. I am truly baffled. My barrel is 90% covered so nothing could get inside.

Tonight I will check the kh & gh to see if that is out of whack, but I am not sure that would be the cause of a large variation like that.

After cutting the tap water with RO water (50/50 blend) the PH being in the aquariums will increase as well.

What use to be a stable PH of 7.0 (mixing 7.6 tap with 6.6 tap) increases to 8.0 in a bare bottom tank after 24 hours.

Now one might say having too much air in a tank will cause the PH to rise but I have not experienced that.

Just some advice from an outsiders would be appreciated.

Thanks!

PV

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode