Cycling question - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-04-2014, 11:46 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Cycling question

I have a well established 26 bowed tank that has been set up for two years. I just started to set up a ten gallon tank, it's going to be planted. I filled half of the ten gallon tank with the water from the established tank and put one small fish to start. Should I expect this tank to be cycled quickly because I used 50% established water?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-04-2014, 11:57 AM
Algae Grower

No, water by itself contains no beneficial bacteria.
add some filter media from your established tank

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-04-2014, 11:58 AM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVEMAN View Post
I have a well established 26 bowed tank that has been set up for two years. I just started to set up a ten gallon tank, it's going to be planted. I filled half of the ten gallon tank with the water from the established tank and put one small fish to start. Should I expect this tank to be cycled quickly because I used 50% established water?

Nope. Very little beneficial bacteria is actually in the water column. Most if it is contained in your filter media with some in your substrate (gravel?) and on driftwood/decorations. Best way to help your cycle would be to use part of your existing tank's cycled filter media in the filter of the new tank. Scooping up some gravel and placing it in a mesh bag and placing it in the new tank would also help.

Using Tapatalk

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-04-2014, 12:02 PM
Planted Member

Send a message via AIM to depthC Send a message via MSN to depthC
Answer is no, the good bacteria that converts ammonia and nitrite live on the gravel and filter media. They are not in just your established tank water, i would use some healthy filter media or a few handfuls of your established tanks gravel or substrate. Good luck

Whats in your glass box?
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-04-2014, 03:46 PM
Algae Grower

There are almost no beneficial bacteria in water. What you basically did was fill the new tank with dirty water. You'll still need to cycle your tank, and the time needed will not be shortened at all. On top of that, you moved whatever pathogens are in your tank over to the new tank.

If you want to shorten the cycle time, you need to move filter media, and substrate. However for me, thats not a good idea. I know a lot of people do it. But to me, you're moving junk over to the new tank and cross contaminating it. I'm more of a purist.

If it were me, I'm sure you'll not like this, but I'd break the new tank down. Get rid of the fish. Sterilize the tank and re start it with a fishless cycle. Then add your fish and other stuff.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode